How to turn on compter without power button?

themolt

Limp Gawd
Noob question...is this possible?

I'm testing a new mobo/cpu setup and i don't have a power switch (nothing connected to the power on connector on the mobo).

Is there another way i can turn it on?

If i have to buy the power button where can i get it?

I have a another case that i can use the power button off of, but it would be a pain to remove it and reattached it multiple times.

Find the two pins on the mobo where the power button would be connected, and short them with a screwdriver, paper clip, or anything else of the sort :)

If you have a power supply, you can run the MB by temporarily "shorting" the power pins on the MB.

First be sure the MB is on a safe surface (setting on the antistatic bag it came in is usually my choise)

Then, either using a jumper, or a flat screw driver or anything else conductive, temporarily connect the pins on the MB that you are supposed to hook the power button up to. (do no leave the jumper on there, just put it on and take it right off, if you leave it on, the MB will shut down in a few seconds)

But do be carefull: this is really just a way to test parts out, it is far too vulnerable to spilled drinks, dropped metal objects etc. to actually run it this way.

==>Lazn

themolt said:

Yes, but there is nothing magic about the switch, all it does is connect those two wires together for a short time, you could use a penny or anything metal to do the same thing.

==>Lazn

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ok.

so i could take a jumper off a spare hd and put it on the two pins for the power on. wait 1 second then take it off?

themolt said:
ok.

so i could take a jumper off a spare hd and put it on the two pins for the power on. wait 1 second then take it off?

Yep.

==>lazn

One of the more successful threads started that closed quick and had no flaming, don't you agree? :)

First be sure the MB is on a safe surface (setting on the antistatic bag it came in is usually my choise)
Bad idea. Static bags are conductive, at least some of them are. Thats how they work, theyre essentially a wire mesh, if youve ever heard of a faraday cage then there you are. Even if its coated with plastic it soesnt take a lot to scratch it off, and you only need to do it twice.

Herulach said:
Bad idea. Static bags are conductive, at least some of them are. Thats how they work, theyre essentially a wire mesh, if youve ever heard of a faraday cage then there you are. Even if its coated with plastic it soesnt take a lot to scratch it off, and you only need to do it twice.

Well yes and no. They are not conductive like tin foil.. but they are slightly conductive. This is also known has high resistance. (take a ohm meter to one, you will see what I mean.) They are fairly high resistance. The grey ones have a few angstroms of Aluminum sandwiched in there. The pink ones don't have any conductiveness at all. as you can see from here: http://www.esdsystems.com/whitepapers/wp_esdbags.asp the pink bags do not have a metal layer, they are just sprayed with a "antistatic" coating.

But yes to be the most safe something like cardboard would be best.

==>Lazn

edited to be clearer.

Wouldn't it be fine on say the top of a desk or something? Or is wood on some desks conductive (I really don't think so)?

lesman said:
Wouldn't it be fine on say the top of a desk or something? Or is wood on some desks conductive (I really don't think so)?

Wood isn't a conductor, so it should be fine. I just wouldnt want to run my board on a static bag

Thats what i meant, even with high resistance they are still conductive enough to potentially cause a problem if it is touching in the right places, and sods law gaurantees (sp) it will be. Never actually seen one of the pink ones so i cant comment.

But what about useing a sheet of plexi glass?
Ive been thinking of makeing a mobo testing rig, and thought about mounting my spair PSU to it.
Guess if I'm going that route, I should put a few brass standoffs on it, and just put one or 2 screws on it, to hold it down. :p

I'd ground one of those standoffs to your PSU case, lexan and many other plastics can generate static, and static is no friend of your Mobo, plus this will give you an "earth" ground, just like your regular case is, provided the PSU is actually installed in it :)

flathead screwdriver

anything that can complete the circuit really... you guys really have no basic understanding how this stuff works? :eek:

THIS IS SIMPLE
Take PSU ATX Cable and Paper clip. One end goes into green wire, other into black. And you set.

Uhhhhh, no.

Read the thread before making suggestions next time.
tongue.gif

i just use a screw or my car keys, whatever metal object i find first and if its a mobo i dont know the pinout to, i try pins in sequence untill it starts :p how i have my mobo setup right now... it starts up whenever it recieves power.. so i just let the psu drain and then flip the switch to power it back on when i need to power cycle...(wish my case would get done faster :rolleyes: )

nobody mentioned using wake on lan feature....none of boxen have power switch on em, i do all of em using wol. simple fast easy.

Back