How to turn HTPC on via remote from couch?

soupcxan

Limp Gawd
Is there any accessory that will let me turn my HTPC on from a totally powered off state while I sit on the couch? Via either my Bluetooth Logitech keyboard or a Harmony IR remote?

It would have to be some auxiliary unit/dedicated circuit with a constant power supply, regardless of whether or not the PC is powered on or not. Antec Fusion HTPC case w/ IR can be powered on from a totally OFF state. Or Wake on LAN?

The motherboard I use supports this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157357

It will allow power on via USB. I have an MCE remote attached to it that powers the PC on when I press the power button, from fully off.

You either need a mobo that supports it, or you need an auxiliary IR circuit board that detects a power signal and jumps the mobo power on. There was a company that made these, but I can't remember their name.

You either need a mobo that supports it, or you need an auxiliary IR circuit board that detects a power signal and jumps the mobo power on. There was a company that made these, but I can't remember their name.
SIMEREC maybe?

Is there any reason it needs to go all the way off? Suspend/sleep/s3 should only be a few watts.

My mobo is asus p8z77-m pro. I've seen the simerec but was hoping for a more elegant solution. Hibernate is ok but any key on my k400r wakes the computer, which causes it to wake by accident. If I could limit waking to only when I press the power button on the k400r, that would work, but don't know how to do that.

Send a WOL with your phone/tablet.

Get an app that will control the htpc.

You just turned your phone into a remote.

Or, just let it go into standby instead of full off. 1-2watt savings isn't worth rebuilding a new htpc.

You need a motherboard that support powered usb. If you can wake it from the keyboard you can wake it with IR.

I am using an HP IR adapter and an old gigabyte mobo and it does this. But really, why would you want to turn off an HTPC, unless you dont have a tuner.

To be honest, I just added a WOL app to my phone where I can put a widget on one of my homepages on Android with a button that just turns on my PC when pressed.

Back