How to TRIM a RAID array of Indilinx SSDs?

CardiaK

Limp Gawd
So, thanks to anand's exhaustively informative articles, I understand that TRIM is working on Intel and Indilinx drives under Win7, but in many cases it won't work without specific drivers (the default MS drivers under Win7) and according to anand:

TRIM won't work on a RAID array.

So, if I were to get, say, a pair of OCZ Agility drives and put them in a RAID0 configuration, how would I ensure that the drives stay as speedy as possible?

Will the OCZ "Wiper" tool work on a RAID array?

Even if it does, the screenshots I've seen make it look like it's just a command line .exe, and I'd really rather have something that I can set once and forget about. I don't want to have to set an outlook reminder to use the Wiper every few weeks; I just want it to work, and when it needs to do its voodoo, it does it in the background and I'm none the wiser.

TRIM was one of the big reasons why I've been waiting to get into the SSD world, for the specific reason that I didn't want to have to constantly perform maintenance on my drives to keep them as fast as they were intended to be.

Am I just better off biting the bullet, dealing with less space and a slight performance hit, and getting an Intel 80gb drive which has its own TRIM scheduler and not bother with a RAID? Or should I wait for TRIM to be better supported with Win7 drivers?

I kind of wanted to put this build together around late November, taking advantage of early holiday shopping prices.

Thanks in advance for any insights you folks have.

For the momment, TRIM only works on a single SSD. I haven't read anything saying it'll work on RAID any time soon. That also means the wiper tool won't work. If automatic TRIM is really important to you, and it seems like it is, then a single SSD like the Intel G2 or the Vertex would probably be your best bet.

Supposedly there is a firmware for OCZ vertex that allows TRIM to work on Intel ICH9/10 arrays.

Other than that you will have to run wiper.exe or use the GC

There are two firmware for the OCZ Indilinx drives. There is TRIM (1.4) and then there is Garbage Collection (1.41). The GC firmware is reccomended for OS that do not support TRIM (XP, OSX, Vista, LInux), and for RAID setups.

So, if you are running RAID, GC is the current solution from OCZ.

Garbage Collection addresses the same problem that TRIM does. (Freeing up unused blocks.)

Back