• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to test a PSU without Mobo

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 4, 2004
Messages
1,315
So I found a couple of old PSU's while packing up to move.

I'd like to try and sell them as opposed to tossing them in the trash but I don't have the time or resources to hook them up to a system to test.

Is there a way I can test them without using a mobo?
 
stick one end of a paperclip in the green pwr on hole and the other end in any of the black ground holes.

However, IMO, if they are old, throw them in the trash.

20pin24pinconnectoroe2.jpg
 
Thanks! I don't want to throw them out if they're still good.
One of them is a Modular Antec that I wouldn't mind using again for an HTPC or something.

Thanks for the know how! Cheers
 
What does it mean if it makes a high pitch squeeling sound and has a burning smell?
 
First of all throw that one away.

Second you can get one of those PSU testers. I have one from Antec.
 
You really are not supposed to operate a modern powersupply with 0 load. There should be a minimum load on the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V rails.
 
I only had them on for about 5 seconds.

The antec is dead. It made a jacked up sound and smelled burning immediately. The Enermax seemed to power up fine though, fan spun at least.
 
If the Antec smells burnt, just discard it, maybe it has blown capacitors. If the Enermax works and the fan spins, it's most likely fine. You sometimes are able operate PSUs with no load, but normally you'd hook up something rudimentary such as a fan or a harddrive when jumpstarting them, because some units won't start unless there is some sort of load present.
 
Why though?

1. You probably will not get accurate readings on each rail that has no load.
2. In the past you could burn out a power supply by not meeting the minimum load on each rail. I believe modern power supplies will protect against this now but they may do this by refusing to turn on.
 
1. You probably will not get accurate readings on each rail that has no load.
2. In the past you could burn out a power supply by not meeting the minimum load on each rail. I believe modern power supplies will protect against this now but they may do this by refusing to turn on.

I actually had this happen the other day. I have a three-four year old Thermaltake Toughpower PSU (750) and I was planning on using it for my atom server until I could get a new PSU. The problem was the server board did not apply enough of a load to the PSU for it to operate without shutting off.

I ended up having to hook up something like 7 fans in order to get enough power draw so I flopped my HTPC PSU (Corsair 400W) with the Thermaltake (HTPC was where it was originally from) and I have had no problem in either PC now.
 
Why though?
Because a power supply expects to see a finite load on its outputs. Not connecting something provides an infinite load. Just like powering an amplifier without speakers connected is not recommended. In addition, all one is truly testing without connecting a finite load is the ability of the power supply to power on.
 
Back
Top