How To Tell if Windows XP CD is An Upgrade Or Full Version

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
Anyone know a quick and easy way to tell if a genuine Windows XP Installation CD is the upgrade or the full version?

Put the CD in the drive and reboot. If it's the full version, it will say "Press any key to boot from CD". If it's an upgrade, I don't believe it will do anything and Windows will boot as normal. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

If its a upgrade version it will specifically say Upgrade on the CD itself.

If not, then its a "full" CD.

And both the "full" cd and the upgrade CD can be used to perform a completely fresh install!

On the upgrade CD just boot from the CD as normal, continue through the install process as you normally would. Eventually it will get to a point where it asks you to insert a original Windows 95, 98, ME, or 2k CD to verify you owned a previous OS. Put the disc in, it will read it for a few seconds, eject it, and then continue the install.

Well I have a full version oem and an academic upgrade version. I've booted from CD from both of them, and done fresh, complete installs from both CD's w/o having to put in another full version CD.

I've used the CD key from the academic version for both discs, so this doesn't help either.

However, I justed noticed the upgrade disc has a little 'Academic Edition' on the front, so problem solved.

If you have the XP upgrade disk and have an old Windows 98 disk you can install XP on the system. When you boot from the windows Xp disk it will say it can't find the key for Windows 9x and you put in the 98 Cd and it will say ok, they you put the XP Cd back in and you will be able to install Xp without having to install over the old OS and then you will have a nice new install of windows XP on your machine.

Originally posted by Wolfcat71
If you have the XP upgrade disk and have an old Windows 98 disk you can install XP on the system. When you boot from the windows Xp disk it will say it can't find the key for Windows 9x and you put in the 98 Cd and it will say ok, they you put the XP Cd back in and you will be able to install Xp without having to install over the old OS and then you will have a nice new install of windows XP on your machine.
Originally posted by EnderW
Well I have a full version oem and an academic upgrade version. I've booted from CD from both of them, and done fresh, complete installs from both CD's w/o having to put in another full version CD.

Back