• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to stop PopUnders in Firefox!

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 10, 2000
Messages
6,849
I got popups disabled in firefox but I am still getting Tons of PopUnders! These really piss me off and I dont know how to stop them! Please help save my insanity! :D
 
Honestly I had to google what a pop-under is, never heard of that before. Therefore, it goes without saying that I have yet to experience this new wave of web annoyances.
 
This may sound like a silly question, but did you check for spyware and viruses?

I haven't had any issues with popups (or unders) even when I've visted websites that are infested with them. Is it a specific webpage that's generating the extra windows or does it happen all the time?
 
No it does not happen all the time, but it is certain websites that do it. It is not spyware as it happens even after a fresh install. Before I even have a chance to get anything. some of the sites are ones that most people would consider safe, like ones linked to on the main Hardocp page. i cant think of any websites at the moment that have these but I do get alot of them. I was researching headphones a couple days ago and had about 3 pop unders from the web sites I visited. If I get anymore I will post the sites when I get them.
I ran Adaware and all I had was tracking cookies.

FYI, Pop Unders are like Pop Ups only they a spawned under your main window, so you only really notice them when you go to close your web browser.
 
I head somewhere that disabling java is supposed to fix that.

Of course then java doesn't work...
 
Phate said:
I head somewhere that disabling java is supposed to fix that.

Of course then java doesn't work...
I dont really want to disable Java as it is used alot. Seems to me if pop-ups can be blacked theres got to be a way to stop the pop-unders!
 
A website I know to be riddled with popunders is the MPCforum... Yeah I tried a freeware software called 'Stop the popup' but it did little/nothing to prevent pupunder windows from appearing.

Would also be interesting in a way to disable specific Java or flash objects on pages, mainly ads and annoying banners.
 
Use AdblockPlus - this has specific filters that should stop most popunders. With all block list sources enabled, I was able to browse the forum the previous poster mentioned without seeing a single advert (might be worth mentioning I use IE7 here on [H] so I do see the adverts).
 
Adblock Plus is definitely the way to go. Install Rick's EasyFilters (as Filterset.G seems to have gone the way of the dodo) and you'll be set.
 
another silly question diablo,
when you did a fresh install, was the computer connected to the internet?
or did you install an anti-virus and or firewall before connecting?

and if you could give us a few sites that give you the most problems, that would help also.

havent had a pop-under in years.... my fresh install that i did one month ago and uses firefox also, does't have the problem either.
 
sounds like its time to run spybot to clean out your registry. Also update your hosts file to block a lot of bad websites, thus preventing further registry contamination.
 
Back
Top