How to shrink Boot Camp partition the easiest way

MrSneis

2[H]4U
Anyone have any tips to shrink the BC partition and extend OSX? OSX needs moar space :(
Currently I run Win 7 64 bit, seems Winclone, previously recommended tool is discontinued!

yeah, neither of those work :) Windows needs to not be destroyed as a result.

Is that even possible without destroying it? I know you can partition a disk that has Windows installed on it, but I don't think you can reverse it...

CAMPTUNE is what you are looking for. Just two pieces of advice before you use it:

1. Make sure both your HFS and NTFS/FAT partitions are absolutely, positively error free. Check both partitions for errors ahead of time and repair them.

2. Resizing can take a long time, so start it at night and leave it running overnight while you don't need the computer.

GParted ?

I've done plenty of resizes of Windows and Linux, never tried it with OSX though....it has never had a bias for not changing the size of a partion ;)

Camptune is built for the specific job of resizing HFS and BOOTCAMP partitions, whereas GPARTED is more a multi-purpose tool and I would not recommend it for the job (although I would recommend it for every other partition maintenance job on the planet!!!). Resizing HFS/Bootcamp partitions is a tricky job and lots of things can go belly-up, best to use a tool written specifically for the purpose.

Easiest and best way to do it is:

1: Boot windows, open disk manager (Start > Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management), right click your windows partition and then click shrink volume. Shrink your NTFS volume to whatever size (Windows will show you the minimum, usually 5GB above what you are using).

2: Boot OS X. Use disk utility to expand your HFS+ partition into the empty space.

Worked for me.

Easiest and best way to do it is:

1: Boot windows, open disk manager (Start > Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management), right click your windows partition and then click shrink volume. Shrink your NTFS volume to whatever size (Windows will show you the minimum, usually 5GB above what you are using).

2: Boot OS X. Use disk utility to expand your HFS+ partition into the empty space.

Worked for me.

that doesn't work, it was the first thing I tried ;)

Thanks 1000, that's sounds about right, I will give it a try!

Just a follow up. Camptune worked flawlessly, I can't thank you enough 1000! I'm surprised I had never heard of it before/it doesn't seem too popular. OSX is now 500gb, with Win7 @ 200gb with no loss of data. It took about an hour to complete, plus I double checked both file systems for issues prior.

Back