• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to ship a CPU or Ram?

qwertyaas

Gawd
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
793
Was wondering what is the best way to ship a CPU and Ram (separately)?

Would putting the CPU in the plastic clam-shell, then anti-static then a hard clam-shell, some bubble-wrap and a bubble mailer via USPS First Class mail be sufficient?

As for Ram, the plastic clam-shells with a bunch of bubblewrap and USPS Priority or would a bubbled mailer and USPS First class work as well?
 
The most important thing about shipping CPU's is that make sure the contact points are not damaged, particularly the pins of an AMD chip. For RAM, make sure it does not get bent and broken.

The plastic clam-shell is a good idea, but make sure it's tight-fitting (the CPU/RAM cannot move inside it). I believe you will be fine with just bubble-wrapping the clam-shell, and then making sure it cannot move inside the box.
 
Well, that's why for the CPU I want to 'double' clam shell it. Once in the original plastic and then in a hard plastic and then wrap it up. But as for anti-static bags, does it matter where I put it? As in which 'layer'?

I guess ram is better to be sent in a box as that is much easier to get damaged in an bubble mailer.

Thanks!
 
For CPUs, I usually keep the clam-shell container (that everyone is talking about) that I get from CPU purchases and put the CPU in there. Then I like to put another layer of bubble wrap around it and it should be good to go.

For RAM, I usually put the sticks in a Anti-Static Bag, roll it up and wrap it around with bubble wrap until I deem it is passable my the UPS quarterbacks.

These parts usually go in a box filled with plastic peanuts. Although this might seem like extra weight to pay, it's all worth it in the end.
 
For CPUs, I usually keep the clam-shell container (that everyone is talking about) that I get from CPU purchases and put the CPU in there. Then I like to put another layer of bubble wrap around it and it should be good to go.

For RAM, I usually put the sticks in a Anti-Static Bag, roll it up and wrap it around with bubble wrap until I deem it is passable my the UPS quarterbacks.

These parts usually go in a box filled with plastic peanuts. Although this might seem like extra weight to pay, it's all worth it in the end.
This is exactly what I would do. I always keep the boxes of my purchases in case of resale and reuse the shipping materials. It's environmentally friendly and cost-efficient.
 
I just bought a used Phenom II from another member and he shipped it in the plastic clamshell from an Intel cpu. It bent about 20 pins because the clamshell had protruding plastic into the area of the pins on the amd cpu.

Please don't ship an AMD cpu in an Intel clamshell. Took me over an hour to get all the pins straight.
 
Back
Top