How to ship a cpu, help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydawg5143

Supreme [H]ardness
So am sending a e8400 to someone, i have the box and hsf with it but the little cpu plastic holder was lost. What is best way to send it. Think microcenter would be able to toss me one for free ?

do you have any of that white styrofoam that you can push it into and then put in anti static bag?

So am sending a e8400 to someone, i have the box and hsf with it but the little cpu plastic holder was lost. What is best way to send it. Think microcenter would be able to toss me one for free ?

i dont know. if microcenter install cpu's for people, they may have some around. put the black plastic cover over the pads on the bottom of the cpu and wrap it in a small anti stat. that should fit in the spot the little cup thing was.

thats for the ideas. syrofoam would be ok then? id thought about that but wasnt sure

What I did OP was put it in an anti-static bag. Then I put it in those tan shipping envelopes. Then I folded up the envelope and bubble wrap it. Then I place it in a small box with a bit of peanuts. Yea I might over did it but better safe than sorry.

Foam would be good enough for shipping CPUs, as long as you put that into a small anti static bag. Just sandwich the CPU between two pieces of foam, and you should be good.

We've received refurb CPUs like that from HP (I work as a server admin) when the management wants to cut costs, and they all worked fine.

Another way is to use the foam that comes with motherboards. Just double up a piece of that, to protect the pins and put it in a little box. I don't recomend the envelope route. The last one shipped to me that way, arrived with 1 whole side of the cpu with bent pins.took forever to get them straightened out. Luckily, I was able to.

Another way is to use the foam that comes with motherboards. Just double up a piece of that, to protect the pins and put it in a little box. I don't recomend the envelope route. The last one shipped to me that way, arrived with 1 whole side of the cpu with bent pins.took forever to get them straightened out. Luckily, I was able to.

my Giga byte mobo came with some black foam stuff, that stuff?

What I did OP was put it in an anti-static bag. Then I put it in those tan shipping envelopes. Then I folded up the envelope and bubble wrap it. Then I place it in a small box with a bit of peanuts. Yea I might over did it but better safe than sorry.

For LGA775 CPUs, this is fine. With pinned chips, you HAVE to push the pins into some type of foam first.

Foam would be good enough for shipping CPUs, as long as you put that into a small anti static bag. Just sandwich the CPU between two pieces of foam, and you should be good.

We've received refurb CPUs like that from HP (I work as a server admin) when the management wants to cut costs, and they all worked fine.

Just be sure to secure the 2 pieces together. But putting the chip in an anti-static bag first really is a must. This covers you and the buyer.

Since this is a LGA775 chip, pins aren't an issue.

OP pm me if you need one, ill send one to you for cost of postage if you wish...

I work at a computer shop. :D

I have another question and didnt feel liek starting a ne wpost.
SO i sol an item, person paypaled me the amount for item, the money went to my paypal and when i got it I immediately sent it to my bank account. I dont feel that this person is a scammer of any sort but they have little feedback ( just like me) and want to cover my ass. Once they recieve the items ( and yes I'll be using tracking via DHL and packing it myself ( work part time packign stuff so im damn good) ALso to add some mental security I'm going to take pics of me packing it. I just dont want any type of charge back or antyhing. WHat should i look out for ?

I have another question and didnt feel liek starting a ne wpost.
SO i sol an item, person paypaled me the amount for item, the money went to my paypal and when i got it I immediately sent it to my bank account. I dont feel that this person is a scammer of any sort but they have little feedback ( just like me) and want to cover my ass. Once they recieve the items ( and yes I'll be using tracking via DHL and packing it myself ( work part time packign stuff so im damn good) ALso to add some mental security I'm going to take pics of me packing it. I just dont want any type of charge back or antyhing. WHat should i look out for ?
The hell is your question? You're fine man. Just ship the package out and that's it. He already paid you.

so there is no way for him to get his money back unless i dont ship out? just wanted to make sure dont want to ship then him claim some stupid crap :p

I have used another method. I sell most of my chips OEM as most people don't want to pay the shipping for a stock cooler. What I do is take the chip and wrap/tape it in newspaper. Then line an Altoid's can with newspaper and pack the chip in there. Stick the can into a padded envelope and send USPS first class for less than $2. I have yet to have an issue with this as there are no pins and everything involved is static free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back