How to share files in Win2K Server?

DatHak512

Gawd
Okay. Normally file sharing is easy. But this is my first try with 2K Server.
1. Right click on the folder i want to share.
2. Click "Sharing..."
3. Click "Share this folder" (User limit is default to Maximum Allowed.)
4. Click "Permissions"
5. There's one name "Everyone" in the share permissions tab. Under Permissions i make sure "Read" is set to "Allow" and all the other check-boxes are empty.
6. Click OK a bunch of times.

No matter what i do in step 5, i can only connect to the computer if i type in the one and only username and password. I would like to set it up so that if you authenticate (enter the admin name / password) you have full permissions, but otherwise you will have read access only. Can anyone help me here? I'm just doing the same thing that i've always done in 2000 Pro and XP Pro.

OK, that's the share permissions. What are the NTFS permissions set to under the security tab? The best way to administer shared files or folders is to grant everyone the share permission and then get grainular in the NTFS permissions (yes, i know everyone and their mother will have a "better" way or some funky way to do this but IMHO, this is the way to go)

Example, set the share to allow everyone full control. Then under NTFS permissions add the local administrator account (or domain account, whatever way you have set up) and then add other users with read only permissions or whatever permissons you want them to have.

The thing to remember is the most restrictive permisson wins when combining share and NTFS permissons.

Okay, cool. I'll give this a shot.
But do you know wheather or not people will be able to still access the share w/o any username and password?

If you want people to have access to your shares without authenticating then enable the guest account. This is not what you want to do however. millhouse laid it out pretty well. There is only one preferred and recommended way to setup shares on an NTFS permission as far as MS is concerned and leaving share permissions wide open and locking down with NTFS permission (the security tab) is the way to do it. Most restrictive wins so leaving the share permissions open isn't a problem if you properly setup NTFS permissions. Unless your running a domain controller to handle authentication each person that tries to hit your shares needs an account on that file server and then would need to be added to via NTFS security.

There's several different ways to do this....depending upon how you have things setup.
You say "Windows 2000 Server"....but what is unanswered...is if you have setup the server as a true server..meaning you ran DCPROMO and it's running Active Directory..meaning running a "domain"...as a Domain Controller, or....if you didn't run DCPROMO...it's really just running as a Windows 2000 Pro computer...in workgroup mode.

Sharing, leave the general share to "Everyone", and whittle down who the shares are allowed to under the Security Tab...utilize NTFS...I agree with what Millhouse stated above, except I add Domain Admins group, the System account, and either individual user accounts or groups (groups if it's a larger org)

Here is a guide to setting up domain based networks...if you truely setup active directory...DNS is very important, so I hope this article helps.
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1660

DatHak512 said:
Okay, cool. I'll give this a shot.
But do you know wheather or not people will be able to still access the share w/o any username and password?

If you dont add or define that users permissions under the NTFS tab then they wont be able to access it. Are you running this in a domain environment?

Nope, this Win2K Server is more of just a glorified 2K Pro machine. It's just another workstation on a network, but it was the only 2K install that i have, so i had to go with it. I'd think that Server would be the more apt thing here (after all, i am only trying to serve files and not much else,) but i think 2K Pro would have been simpler.

It's running in workgroup mode. Maybe if i have time tonight i will try to set the NTFS permissions and add a guest account, so that i'm not asked for an account name and password every time i try to connect.

Back