How to setup second router to existing one to make the range better?....

tgg

[H]ard|Gawd
I just bought a new wireless router and I currently using my older dlink di-524 wireless router in my home.

Reason in buying a new one is because currently the dlink router is in the family room use to be a garage and my wifes imac is in our bedroom the couple rooms down not next door or anything, and the imac and even our smartphones when in our beedroom the connection gets disconnected then reconnected etc etc, basically signal strenth is low intialy when connected to the router.

I'm not worried about the smartphones just need to make sure the imac gets and stays connected so she can get her fix on in playing bingoooooooooo on facebook. :)

So anyone please have somes steps in setting up a secondary router from the 1st one to extend the range better? And which one new or old should be the primary connected locally wired to my pc in the family room and the the other being the second hotspot one or whatever its called.

Thanks

I just bought a new wireless router and I currently using my older dlink di-524 wireless router in my home.

Reason in buying a new one is because currently the dlink router is in the family room use to be a garage and my wifes imac is in our bedroom the couple rooms down not next door or anything, and the imac and even our smartphones when in our beedroom the connection gets disconnected then reconnected etc etc, basically signal strenth is low intialy when connected to the router.

I'm not worried about the smartphones just need to make sure the imac gets and stays connected so she can get her fix on in playing bingoooooooooo on facebook. :)

So anyone please have somes steps in setting up a secondary router from the 1st one to extend the range better? And which one new or old should be the primary connected locally wired to my pc in the family room and the the other being the second hotspot one or whatever its called.

Thanks

It's probably dropping off because it's left on the default channel in the setup :)

Sure,

Never mind I went through this possible channel issue and it didnt fix the issue last time.

Also I just found out that both wireless routers need to support the option to set them up as an access point, looks like most new routers you buy these days have that built in just like this 30 dollar belkin I bought today does, but the old dlink router I had for like 8 years doesnt have that option of course since its old technology.

Setting up the belkin to access point does work only if theres a wired connection between the 2 routers, but I want to make them connected to each through wireless.

I just connected only the new belkin and now theres a better connection to the imac in other room. Thanks anyways.

If you want to connect them via wireless, you will want something that can support WDS. Not sure if your devices are supported or not, but it is insanely easy to configure dd-wrt firmware to support WDS.

If you where not against running a cable to the other device, you can configure each router with the same exact ssid/security settings, change the channels though, for example one on 3 and the other on 6, and should be able to move between them w/o issue and have good coverage.

If you want to connect them via wireless, you will want something that can support WDS. Not sure if your devices are supported or not, but it is insanely easy to configure dd-wrt firmware to support WDS.

If you where not against running a cable to the other device, you can configure each router with the same exact ssid/security settings, change the channels though, for example one on 3 and the other on 6, and should be able to move between them w/o issue and have good coverage.

Ok help me with this, the new belkin i got has the option to turn it on as a access point, so if I get another same belkin then can I accomplish in having it all wireless with no wired connection? Or do I need a something that supports WDS?

Again this belkin router has a option to turn it to a access point is this the same as WDS? Thanks

Look in the settings and see if it supports WDS.

Do you have a model number on it?

Oh and your d-link does not support WDS. So it looks like to roll out WDS you will need to buy at least 1 new device.

I am not sure if you are wanting to stream movies or other media, but there is a performance penalty for using WDS, With a 2 router setup it should be minimal.

Does the d-link offer you the ability to increase the signal strength or could you move it to a more neutral location? Jacking the strength up can work against you.

Back