How to setup IPP/HTTP printing?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

My father works at a mall in a shop and had bought a Brother 2270DW printer (wireless and wired networking) to find that it was a bit bigger than he had anticipated it to be and does not fit on his kiosk desk, and so gave the printer to me yesterday. He was wondering if it is possible to setup the printer so that it could be printed to from over the internet. After I reserved a DHCP IP address for the printer, changed 'admin' and 'user' passwords, and disabled some protocols, I made sure IPP was enabled and that port 631 (TCP) was forwarded on my DD-WRT router.

I added the printer as my external IP address (http://www.ipchicken.com/) in Windows, selected the correct driver as provided by Windows Updates, and attempted to send a test page without success.

This would be my first time trying to setup a printer for over-the-Internet printing (aka IPP). Any suggestions on what I could do to try get this to work?

A VPN would be a better and more secure solution.
Agreed. Otherwise, expect to get some ..umm...'interesting' print jobs ( at the very least ).

However, check your printer address. It's often not just the raw address, but a directory afterwards. For instance, the address for my phaser here looks like http://<address>/ipp.

A lot of those printers rely on some layer 2 discovery. So going across the Internet isn't going to work.

OMG, why so much trouble ?

Just setup the Cloud printing on chrome.

I must say it scares a little when you listening to music and then suddenly the printer start doing its job :D

Would probably be easier to use an intermediary print server rather than trying to print directly to it.

A lot of those printers rely on some layer 2 discovery. So going across the Internet isn't going to work.
Nah, ipp is a layer ...7 protocol? In fact, the only thing that keeps most network printers from working over the internet is that the ports aren't forwarded correctly. Most network printers do the basic port 9100 printing, so most will work over the internet.

Not that you should, mind you. But you could.

Back