How to setup dual boot

go ahead and install xp first, then install vista on a different partition (can be same drive). restart and the vista boot manager will recognize the existance of both installs and everytime you turn on ure comp ull get a choice, either vista or old windows version (aka XP)...

I use multiple partitions on one hard drive, I delete/create partitions for both operating systems with the XP disk partitoner at the beginning of the XP install routine. I actually have a triple boot going with Linux but anyhow back on topic...
  • Windows XP MUST be installed first. If you try to install Vista first before XP, the installer will overwrite Vista's boot files and you will no longer be able to boot Vista.
  • Boot from the XP install CD and install XP like normal. I like to name the partions (enter My Computer and right click on the drive) so they are easy to identify, especially if they are the same size
  • Boot from the Vista DVD and install it on the other partion.
  • Now when you boot up the Vista bootloader gives you a choice between operating systems.
  • I like to use Vista boot Pro to change options in the bootloader like timeout before loading default, rename the OS in the menu, change which OS is the default, etc. It's a great program and any bootloader questions are most likely answered on their forum.

I use multiple partitions on one hard drive, I delete/create partitions for both operating systems with the XP disk partitoner at the beginning of the XP install routine. I actually have a triple boot going with Linux but anyhow back on topic...
  • Windows XP MUST be installed first. If you try to install Vista first before XP, the installer will overwrite Vista's boot files and you will no longer be able to boot Vista.
  • Boot from the XP install CD and install XP like normal. I like to name the partions (enter My Computer and right click on the drive) so they are easy to identify, especially if they are the same size
  • Boot from the Vista DVD and install it on the other partion.
  • Now when you boot up the Vista bootloader gives you a choice between operating systems.
  • I like to use Vista boot Pro to change options in the bootloader like timeout before loading default, rename the OS in the menu, change which OS is the default, etc. It's a great program and any bootloader questions are most likely answered on their forum.

Would unplugging the XP drive from the mobo while installing Vista and then once Vista is installed reattaching the XP drive screw anything up?

Would unplugging the XP drive from the mobo while installing Vista and then once Vista is installed reattaching the XP drive screw anything up?
No, but you will have to use Vista Boot Pro to get the option for the dual boot. It is a fairly easy to use program.

You said you use Linux too, does the Vista boot manager pick this up too, have you tried lilo or grub to boot into Vista?

With a tri-boot setup the Linux OS is the last one you install, otherwise the M$ operating systems will overwrite GRUB. You just need to add the Vista location as another OS under GRUB, selecting it will chain you off to the Vista loader where you can choose from Vista or XP. GRUB has worked in a triple boot situation with both Sabayon Linux and Ubuntu so far for me, haven't tried any others lately.

I just got my copy of Vista Business from the university yesterday, so I wiped the Vista RC2 and Linux partions and installed it on a freshly created partion, haven't reinstalled a Linux OS yet. The new Fedora looks nice but their partioner always f**s up the bootloaders for my other operating systems so I am avoiding that one. I will probably try the new SUSE next, I liked the earlier versions and hear the new one is even better.

With a tri-boot setup the Linux OS is the last one you install, otherwise the M$ operating systems will overwrite GRUB. You just need to add the Vista location as another OS under GRUB, selecting it will chain you off to the Vista loader where you can choose from Vista or XP. GRUB has worked in a triple boot situation with both Sabayon Linux and Ubuntu so far for me, haven't tried any others lately.

I just got my copy of Vista Business from the university yesterday, so I wiped the Vista RC2 and Linux partions and installed it on a freshly created partion, haven't reinstalled a Linux OS yet. The new Fedora looks nice but their partioner always f**s up the bootloaders for my other operating systems so I am avoiding that one. I will probably try the new SUSE next, I liked the earlier versions and hear the new one is even better.

Having been through way too many distros of Linux I highly reccomend SUSE 10.1 / 64.

Unless you feel as though you must be at the command line I haven't found any thing I can't do from within the KDE interface. My only suggestion is the Suse dl is 6 disks set to load on a DVD. Do the full install not just the first disk, it's pretty elegant from that point on.

Luck and enjoy;)

No, but you will have to use Vista Boot Pro to get the option for the dual boot. It is a fairly easy to use program.

Does VistaBoot come with Vista already or there is no difference between VistaBootPro and Vistaboot?

Vista Boot Pro is a 3rd party app. Vista comes with its own bootloader, but other than that you don't have many options to easily add other OS's or change options.

Back