How to Set Up the Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router for Comcast Internet

the one

n00b
I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router, and I need help setting it up for Networking and the best Security, Is there a good web site or some one can help me with this. I do lotes of gamming and web surfer and I don't want my IP to be known. My internet connect is through Comcast if thats helps. Is there a way to get the best ping to the server that I play games on.

well, first off, i hope you dont have any problems with your router dropping your connection every 6-8 hours. my router did that until i changed a couple things and it seems to be fine now. use google if you want to see what im talking about. i even posted here about it the other day. drop me a PM if you have problems.

first, update the firmware. go to linksys.com and download the newest firmware and the FTP software for it. run the exe, point it to the .bin file. done. simple.

if you are connecting via wireless, disable the channel broadcast, and rename the SSID to something that would resemble a password. (something like !bigLITTLE?) make sure you set up WEP,(cant remember if it supports WPA) and i also set mine to only allow specific mac addresses. just get the mac address of the connecting wireless cards and throw them in there.

as far as it working with your comcast internet, just plug the modem in via cat5 into the WAN (i think they just call it internet now) port and reset the modem (I had to reset mine in order to get it to pick up the connection the first time. if its already got your IP and DNS settings already, no need) and youre all set. no real setup needed there.

and as far as gaming goes, you may need to set up port forwarding to your DHCP IP (192.168.1.XXX) but it depends on the game. try it first and see if you have any problems. and in regards to ping, i dont think your router will help you, itll depend on how good/strong your connection via broadband is.

Back