How to set up Eyefinity?

Threader

Limp Gawd
Just installed Sapphire HD 5870 and 2 DVI connected 22" LCD monitors and another on the way for tomorrow.

I do not see any Eyefinity Tabs or options in CCC which I just downloaded from ATI.

Sapphire paper manual is useless and the Driver CD PDF manual doesn't even apply to the HD 5870 but only HD 4890 or lower cards.

Searching ATI support comes up zero results. Eyefinity searches on Google just provide ATI intro news.

Ok Zero Day HD 5870 Eyefinity Experts help this poor boy out? :confused:

Edit by Kyle since this thread is coming up again. Our Eyefinity Review is here and shows how to set up Eyefinity display groups.

http://hardocp.com/article/2009/09/28/amds_ati_eyefinity_technology_review/

Last edited by a moderator:
You're probably going to have to wait till AMD releases the Catalyst 9.10 drivers which add support for the RV870 to the public. Reviewers are using a early beta driver that AMD sent to them, so thats how they're testing the feature at the moment.

Just installed Sapphire HD 5870 and 2 DVI connected 22" LCD monitors and another on the way for tomorrow.

I do not see any Eyefinity Tabs or options in CCC which I just downloaded from ATI.

The AMD Eyefinity web page indicates that Catalyst 9.10 supports it:

"Driver version 8.66 (Catalyst 9.10) or above is required to support ATI Eyefinity technology and to enable a third display you require one panel with a DisplayPort connector."

How is the Sapphire 5870 with your current apps?

Alright figured it out. I had by habit immediately extended my desktop using the multi-monitor setting but that is where I messed up.

CCC Help menu for Eyefinity if you select Help Contents you will find it.

About ATI Eyefinity Technology and Display Groups

"To configure properties for specific displays in a group, use the display-specific property pages that are accessible through the display palette. For more information, see Configuring Display Properties."

Go on to Configuring Display Properties and it will guide you along.

Ok ATI you need an "EyeFinity" tab to make this more intuitive!:rolleyes:

1. You need to connect one of the 3 displays via Displayport. Hope one of your monitors has displayport in or you'll need to buy a Displayport to DVI adapter.
2. Make sure that you have the latest drivers downloaded from ATI. Go into CCC and hunt around for settings.
3. Let us know how it turns out when you plug in all your monitors. :) Screenshots would be nice!

So how are people managing 5-6 displays when the cards only have a couple different hookups? Are they using both DVI, HDMI and DP at the same time or am I missing something?

So how are people managing 5-6 displays when the cards only have a couple different hookups? Are they using both DVI, HDMI and DP at the same time or am I missing something?

The standard 5870 can do up to 3 displays.
The special Eyefinity version 5870 can do up to 6 displays.
It has 6 displayport outs and will be arriving later.

1. You need to connect one of the 3 displays via Displayport. Hope one of your monitors has displayport in or you'll need to buy a Displayport to DVI adapter.
2. Make sure that you have the latest drivers downloaded from ATI. Go into CCC and hunt around for settings.
3. Let us know how it turns out when you plug in all your monitors. :) Screenshots would be nice!

Passive Displayport to DVI connectors do not work, the monitor needs to be native Displayport.

I will know tonight if your statement is true as I have a passive DP to DVI cable and a 3rd LCD arriving from Amazon this afternoon. Will update. ;)
my understanding is that passive is ok up to 1920 x 1080 resolution. Since i will be adding a 3rd 1680 x 1050 i should be more than alright.
It seems you need an active (powered) DP to DVI or HDMI cable/convertor when trying to pass resolutions greater than 1920 x 1080. e.g Apple 30" Display

We will be covering this in our upcoming Eyefinity video as well. There is some info on this. I just spoke to AMD about this again this morning, and it is striving fully to have a certified 3-way DVI solution ASAP. Here is what I said in another thread.

AMD has made us understand that a 3 DVI Eyefinity configuration can work with an active DP to DVI adapter. You cannot use a simple passthrough connector. This is the only one I could find to test with. I have not been able to get it to work in my testing, and it may be due to my adapter. The current 24" 3x1 Eyefinity setting I am using is using two DVI and one DP.

Also, it is my understanding that in the near future you will NOT need an active adapter to output through DP to DVI or HDMI.

I will be testing the three 24" displays with 3-way DVI later today most likely. Two DVI and one DP is working very well though.

Small Update: During Lunch I had 15 mins to install my 3rd 22" 1680x1050 with the Displayport to Female DVI attached to a Male to Male DVI cable. So I have now 3 X 22" 1680x1050 monitors with a combination of DVI + DVI + DP connections to the HD 5870.

ATI CCC detects all 3 properly - Model name and resolutions. I can make any 2 Span with Eyefinity but for some reason I cannot get 3 to work together. Not sure if I set something up wrong yesterday and now EyeFinity is stuck forced to only 2 monitors. I can say that the passive DP to DVI cable is working fine for 2D and 3D with 1 other monitor in a 2 monitor Eyefinity Span of 3360x1050.

I just need to spend more time this evening and undo whatever I did yesterday night when I only had 2 monitors so that it will span 3.

From what I understand you need a native displayport display for 3 monitor support. Which is kinda dumb.

Is it possible to hook up 3 monitors using a DVI + DVI + HDMI configuration? I've read conflicting information about this.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity.aspx

1. Driver version 8.66 (Catalyst 9.10) or above is required to support ATI Eyefinity technology and to enable a third display you require one panel with a DisplayPort connector.
2. ATI Eyefinity technology works with games that support non-standard aspect ratios which is required for panning across three displays.
3. TV Tuner required, sold separately.
4. Linux support scheduled to be enabled via a future ATI Catalyst™ driver release.

What is this business about a required TV tuner? I've never heard that before.

Passive Displayport to DVI connectors do not work, the monitor needs to be native Displayport.

I've got a $6 adapter working @ 1280x1024 currently.

Is it possible to hook up 3 monitors using a DVI + DVI + HDMI configuration? I've read conflicting information about this.

You can only have two of those active at one time; DVI + HDMI or DVI + DVI. Its related to the need for timing signals and the display engine; Displayport doesn't need timing signals so the extra display can be enabled.

I will know tonight if your statement is true as I have a passive DP to DVI cable and a 3rd LCD arriving from Amazon this afternoon. Will update. ;)
my understanding is that passive is ok up to 1920 x 1080 resolution. Since i will be adding a 3rd 1680 x 1050 i should be more than alright.
It seems you need an active (powered) DP to DVI or HDMI cable/convertor when trying to pass resolutions greater than 1920 x 1080. e.g Apple 30" Display

Good info; see above for the adapter I'm using.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok No Change. Windows 7 sees all 3 monitors, ATI sees all 3 monitors but the only display group being is offered is 2x1. It can be any 2 of the 3 (DVI+DP or DVI+DVI) but for the life of me I cannot get all 3 for 3x1.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. no change.

Even Windows 7 display interface won't let me clone or extend more than any 2 of my 3 monitors at once.

When booting I also only have 2 monitors show the boot screens at once and 1 remains out.

The pains of an early adaopter for 3 monitor Eyefinity :rolleyes:

I even swapped out a dvi cable and used a HDMI cable with a HDM! to DVI adapter that I had from another ATI card and used a HD 5870 HDMI + DVI + DP and still same result. Any 2 combination of the three available but never all 3 :confused:

I must be over looking something.

3rd monitor has to be on displayport, i.e. DVI+DVI+HDMI will not work because the DVI and HDMI ports share the same 2 TDMS(?) so you can only use 2 out of the group of 3 connectors concurrently. If you try to use all 3, you have to disable one of the outputs.

And, judging from the comments here, a displayport to DVI or HDMI adaptor will let you connect a 3rd monitor (up to 1920x1080 or 1920x1200?) but not include it as a eyefinity configuration, only as a 3rd independent monitor? Anyone have a 1920x1200 LCD and a Displayport adaptor to confirm?

3rd monitor has to be on displayport, i.e. DVI+DVI+HDMI will not work because the DVI and HDMI ports share the same 2 TDMS(?) so you can only use 2 out of the group of 3 connectors concurrently. If you try to use all 3, you have to disable one of the outputs.

And, judging from the comments here, a displayport to DVI or HDMI adaptor will let you connect a 3rd monitor (up to 1920x1080 or 1920x1200?) but not include it as a eyefinity configuration, only as a 3rd independent monitor? Anyone have a 1920x1200 LCD and a Displayport adaptor to confirm?

You misread me. I know very well you can't do DVI+DVI+HDMI. never said I did that.

Again I have tried DVI+DVI+DP and I have also tried DVI+HDMI+DP.

Again with either of the above triple monitor connections I can make any 2 work proving that each and every single connection works so that is not the issue here.

the issue again is getting Eyefinity to let me have 3x1 in the CCC "'Desktop & Displays" then in create Group to offer me me 3x1 instead of 2x1.

I can 2x1 HDMI+DP or DVI+DVI or DVI+DP or DVI+HDMI and that is all I can do right now but it proves that all my video ports work.

This is really lame on ATI's part to require users to purchase a $100+ active adapter to use this Eyefinity feature. I can't imagine it would have been that much more expensive to just make the card with 3x DVI or allow use of the DP or HDMI ports using cheap $5 adapters.

This is really lame on ATI's part to require users to purchase a $100+ active adapter to use this Eyefinity feature. I can't imagine it would have been that much more expensive to just make the card with 3x DVI or allow use of the DP or HDMI ports using cheap $5 adapters.

From the outside of the card we see the possibility of 4 monitors. Why should be think otherwise right? It was my first impression. But in the inner workings of the card there is only 2 video feeds I will call them to keep things simple. These feeds can go to two of the 4 ports in the traditional way we output video with DVI. But with display port, the signals can be manipulated and transferred to another DP port as long as the card can enable it's displayport function. Displayport isn't just another version of DVI like HDMI is. It is a entirely new and completely different why of doing things then anything we have been able to use on the consumer market before. The ability to manipulate the feeds it a perk of DisplayPort the way I understand it. The expensive adapters are more then simply powered adapters. Inside they have DisplayPort enabled components that allow the video card to activate it's DisplayPort features. They must be able to communicate with each other in order to process the feature we want. In this case triple fullscreen output over 3 ports.

It has to have DisplayPort device(s) to communicate with in order to do DisplayPort features. If I am not mistaken.

- Jay

Last edited:
It has been said that for now you cannot do 3x1 without a powered dp to dvi adaptor
it is true. I gave up and bought an apple powered dp. I also ordered a mini dp to dp adapter. Sucks that you have to spend $130. will update

He also said that they were working on eliminating this requirement. I'd love an update on that

What monitors can you get from Newegg that come with both DVI and displayport?

So do you use two dvi and 1 dp on the standard?

Yes, from what I have come to understand. I believe that 1x dvi + 1x hdmi + 1x DP is also allowed. But 1 of the connections must be DP for Eyefinity to work properly with 3 monitors.

What monitors can you get from Newegg that come with both DVI and displayport?

I don't know but Newegg doesn't have a good dead pixel warranty on their displays (you need 8 or more dead pixels for an exchange). Monitors are the one item that I wouldn't buy from them.

dell%20display%20port2.jpg

I would really like this monitor with the clear bezel if they made the clear bezel thinner and removed the extraneous junk on the sides.
I know that the Dell U2410 has DP. And several of the Mac displays use DP, but not all of them, notably the CinemaDisplay 30 inch doesn't. Weird.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8277

Last edited:
Hi

New to all this but trying to build the ultimate flight sim using the Hd5870 with 3 displays. Have read all the threads and have had no luck in getting 3 monitors to run with a passive DP to DVi adaptor. About to comit to buying a powered one at about £100 but am seeking confirmation from someone that this is the answer to my problem! I think that ATI have been a bit naughty if you really do have to shell out on an expensive adaptor to get the eyefinity 3 display system working

Many thanks in anticipation

Hi
Have read all the threads and have had no luck in getting 3 monitors to run with a passive DP to DVi adaptor. About to comit to buying a powered one at about £100 but am seeking confirmation from someone that this is the answer to my problem!

YES you need a ACTIVE adaptor.
passive ones dont work.

either that or a screen having displayport.

So is there a list of displayport equipped monitors out there? I know there is limited selection of ones so I was wondering if anyone knew which ones? I know the 2408WFP, U2410, and the P2210 from dell both have it along with the 30" but that's all that I remember off the top of my head. I really want to get >= 24" but I would settle for >=22".

Ok
Ordered an active adaptor from a company in Holland; shoudl be here this week. Can anyone explain how to get the picture to spread acroos all three displays. Will the addition of the adaptor automatically bring up a 3 screen option in the CCC?
Trying to spread Flight Sim X acroos all 3 such that the right and left screens are the perif vision etc

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Chris

Ok
Ordered an active adaptor from a company in Holland; shoudl be here this week. Can anyone explain how to get the picture to spread acroos all three displays. Will the addition of the adaptor automatically bring up a 3 screen option in the CCC?
Trying to spread Flight Sim X acroos all 3 such that the right and left screens are the perif vision etc

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Chris

Watch the video kyle made, it had instructions how to set it up.

I have to ask this because nobody seems to say it clearly.

I'm trying to setup Eyefinity across 2 DVI monitors only, not 3.
I know I'm supposed to click on the black arrow in the top right corner in Desktops & Displays, then click "create group" but I don't have that option at all.

Please help. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.

Last edited:
Hello!

Can i use, three LCD televisions to eyefinity? That televisions have only HDMI input. I read it, i need an active DP-DVI adapter, and three dvi-hdmi adapter also. May this work? :rolleyes:

Yes, working! I tried it finally.

Last edited:
Back