how to set SATA slave, IDE master

Bleed

Gawd
been running my comp for almost 2 years now with my IDE as master. now, im running out of space and got myself a Hitachi SATA drive. how to i set it as slave? been trying for almost half an hour now. i have an IC7 mobo, help pls :(.

Are you using a PATA to SATA adapter? If so, Im not sure where you would put the jumper on the SATA drive, I would just keep trying it until the BIOS recognizes the drive. If you don't have an adapter, your mobo will have to have a SATA controller onboard or you will need to get a controller card. Hope that helps, good luck. Once you go SATA, you will never want to go back to IDE. Just be careful with the SATA cable, they break real easily, I lost a whole drive one time due to that.

SATA has no master/slave settings.

Master/slave only matters if the drives are on the same cable, but because SATA has only one device per cable there is no such setting for SATA.

==>Lazn

i see. so i need a SATA to IDE adapter? this sucks :(. anybody wanna trade an 80gig SATA drive for the same but IDE instead? :D.

In your BIOS, you should have the option to set the boot order of your hard drives

Bleed said:
i see. so i need a SATA to IDE adapter? this sucks :(. anybody wanna trade an 80gig SATA drive for the same but IDE instead? :D.

Umm no why? If you are having boot issues, set IDE to be your first boot device in your BIOS, it has nothing to do with master/slave settings. Or SATA/IDE or even SCSI for that matter.

==>lazn

Bleed said:

How were you connecting this to the board?

Bleed said:
straight to my motherboard. its got 4 Sata controllers.

Uh, what's the issue then? You shouldn't have to do anything other than plug it in and go.

To put it all in one post, there is no master/slave with SATA. Just plug it in from the drive to the motherboard, plug in power, and it should go. Is the drive spinning up okay? Is it seen in BIOS but not Windows?

Do you have the SATA drivers installed? They're probably on the CD with your motherboard, or on the manufacturer's website...

It won't show up in Windows until it's partitioned. You can set it up with the Disk Manager, which is part of Computer Management in XP.

JTY said:
It won't show up in Windows until it's partitioned. You can set it up with the Disk Manager, which is part of Computer Management in XP.

unhappy_mage said:
Do you have the SATA drivers installed? They're probably on the CD with your motherboard, or on the manufacturer's website...

Both of these are correct.. you need to install the drivers and then format the drive

Back