• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

how to run case fans

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
5,086
I have no idea what is the best way to run case fans?
I only have 1 exhaust fan and no inlet fan.I need to do womething since I am getting a hd4850 and my case will be cooking.
My case is a stock gateway case so I dont have alot of room inside.

I have 1 80mm fan under the psu and it is a exhaust.I have room for a 80mm or a 120 mm under the HD cage.I will have to cut the hd cage to fit a 120mm in there but it isn't a problem since I only have 1 hard drive inside of the cage.

The only thing I can think of is to place a 120mm in front on the bottom pulling air in from outside the case,a 120mm on the hd cage facing the rear pushing the air towards the exhaust..A 120mm in the bottom under the hd4850 as a exhaust, I will have to take out the pci e expansion slots and my 80mm under the psu at the upper part of the case as a exhaust.

Here is a pic of the inside of my case
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1009603/1009603mv.shtml
http://support.gateway.com/s/CASES/GERSHWIN/3507057Riv.shtml


I am kinda stumped at the moment and need some help please guys help me out.I dont have the cash to buy a new case but I can swing the fans right now so I can install them all when I hook up my hd4850.My 8800gt kept this case so toasty I had to keep the case side off and I dont like doing that since I have a 3year old daughter and she gets into everything
 
There are holes on the left side panel so I think it would be smart to utilize those if the fans don't get in the way of the video card or CPU heatsink.

I'm not sure what you mean by putting a fan under the graphics card. Doesn't look like it will fit?
 
aww shit I forgot about that the modem is in there.
Well If I use the spots where the vents are in the side panel should I use it for exhaust?
The left side panel is only 4.5 wide by 7 tall.I can make more holes in the case tho or I can cut it out and put some fan covers/grills there and mount something there.I have no idea of what to do.

I know for sure I can get fresh air in the front from the underside of the HDD cage.
I can mount a 120mm on the hard drive cage pushing backwards towards the exhaust.
I have a 80mm fan in the exhaust under the psu now but I need at least one more exhaust.Would the left side panel be fine for a exhaust place
 
generally exhaust is more important than intake. the negative pressure generated by a powerful exhaust fan will draw cool air into the case.
 
So if I put a 120mm in the front drawing in cool air,and my 80mm under the psu for exhaust and used a 120mm fan on the side for exhaust I should be fine?
 
I want to get the hot air out that is the case with the video card.I figure one fan intake and 2 fans exhaust will this be enough?
With out the video card inside the case running it stays cool inside but once a video card gets under load in there it gets toasty.

The 120mm exhaust on the case side will be right in front of the video card and hopefully sucking the hot air from the video card out of the case.
 
a single slot 4850 generates heat from two places. heat from the gpu/memory gets dumped into your case from the single slot cooling solution. additionally radiant heat from the pbc on the opposite side of the cooler will also be present. an his branded 4850 with the iceq4 cooler will rectify one half of the problem. a lone strong 8cm rear fan like a silent x model will help any front fan draw more cool air into the case as well as from indirect sources like front bezel vents and side panel vents. a low speed intake fan added to the side panel can help you cool off the bare pcb side of the video card. i usually try to keep the total intake cfm lower than the total exhaust cfm.
 
Well do you think if I went with a 55cfm intake in the front lower right of the case and a 55cfm exhaust on the side vent of the case.That would give me 55cfm of intake and 89 cfm of exhaust.
WOuld this be fine or should I use 2 fans on the side for exhaust 1 exhaust in the back and 1 intake in the front?

I just want the case t be cool inside and not all hot
 
i would go for 2 fans in, one fan out.

its all about pressure coming in, going out, and i doubt the case you are using will be airtight everywhere else.
 
Back
Top