How to rewire a phone jack for DSL...

Zatos

Limp Gawd
I had a question about doing this. Mainly, how? I've searched on Google but this is one of those things that only returned a bunch of useless results.

Next week, I am getting DSL service. I was told by Qwest that the jack will need to be rewired, but for them to do it it costs $99! What a rip off. From what knowledge I have (which isn't much) I do not think this is a very complicated thing to do and is just a way for them to make easy money.

From what I read it sounds like it just may require swapping some wires. I don't have confirmation on that, and if I can't get it right, I obviously won't have internet (I'm moving to a new place). I don't really have the $99 to plunk down on such a waste of money.

Also, do I even need to rewire the jack? This is just a stand alone line - meaning no telephone service - so I wondered if a dsl filter would work as well. They didn't mention anything about it, and I know these kinds of companies love to do what makes them the most cash... so... I thought it might be a possibility.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

I've had DSL in two different houses, and I never had to rewire anything. I just plugged in the DSL filters in to every jack in the house... That's all. The House I'm living in now has much older wiring than the first one. I had to change out some jacks that had an old modular (round plug) jack with a new jack, but that's an easy $5 fix.

So you think that's all that would be necessary... just to run a dsl filter? I sure hope so, if it doesn't work then, I won't have any way of finding out how to do it myself. This is also a stand alone line, meaning no telephone whatsoever, so I dont know if that changes things.

If Qwest provisions your stand alone DSL line, to the correct pair of wires that run to your house, then you will not have to do anything. You won't even need the DSL filters because you are not plugging anything else into the phone jacks.

But if they don't... I take it all I'll have to do is swap the inner wires for the outer wires in the jack?

Back