How to retain drive letters

CFPCU

n00b
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
5
Greetings, everyone! I have a question hopefully someone here can help me with.

I'm working on a sata disk to disk backup system, and would like drive letters to be assigned to the sata channel, rather than the drive. For example, any drive attached to channel O, would be drive X. As it is now, drive X will retain its drive letter no matter which channel it is attached to.

The setup isn't very special: Promise SATAII150-TX4 cards and a Supermicro backplane.

Any insight would be appreciated.
 
You can assign a drive letter to any disk or partition in any order you would like. Use disk managment. Right click on each drive and reassign a different letter to it.
 
This is true, thank you.

However, I want to be able to swap these drives, without having to continually reassign the drive letters. For example, if I pull the drive in channel 0 (say, drive x) to go offsite, I would like to be able to put another drive in it's place, and retain the drive letter (x) automatically.

Any thoughts?
 
If your hot swapping the whole dynamic disk thing comes to mind. I will admit I am less then familiar with the proper useage of the tool. I do know, from past threads it can be a real pain.

Luck
 
What I'm looking to do is be able to script a backup sequence to the same drive letter, regardless of what what drive is in the bay.

Does this spark any ideas?
 
Disk letters are tied to volume/partition serial numbers. If you can find a utility that will let you manually change that number you could do exactlly what you want. Basically, make all the drives you will be using have the same serial number. Windows will always assign the same drive letter whenever the disk is inserted. I wouldn't try inserting 2 disks with the same serial number though, might have some unexpected results...

I remember a utility for FAT/FAT32 formatted disks that let you change the volume serial. Never bothered looking for utilty that allowed the same with NTFS.
 
Back
Top