How to restrict wireless users from accessing network share?

Sasiki

2[H]4U
I have set up outdoor wireless access using a sister company's DYNAMIC IP internet access. The wireless will primary be used for a rack tracking system installed on a computer out on the nursery. The sister company's main application uses a shared folder on the server. The application I will be using on the rack tracking computer has to interface back to the server at the main office. To do this, I have to map a network drive for it to write to which will require me to set up a VPN. The sister company's internet access has a dynamic IP which blocks Protocol 50 for VPN. I'm going to have to order them a static IP for the VPN to work. To set up a VPN, I will be using a Sonicwall router. With only 1 public IP, I will have to connect the local users at the sister company on the same network as the wireless users. Anyone on wireless will then be able to access the shared folder on sister's server. Is there any way to do this without giving wireless users access to that folder, without using a domain controller? Actually, to access the shared folder on the server, you have to input the administrator username and password unless you have it mapped by saving the password, but is this secure enough? Any and all ideas welcomed.

Depending on which version of sonic wall you have you may be able to do it right in the firewall with rules, as long as the Internal Ip addresses are static. Also depending on the company's policies you may be ok with just password security. It doesent sound like there is much concern if you are using an administrator password.

Thanks for the reminder of doing it internally. This sonicwall just has the standard OS on it, but maybe it has IP restriction rules.

It's been a long tine since I worked on a sonic wall, but there should be a place to set up rules by IP address.

Back