How to resize system reserved partition? Win 7 fails to boot afterward.

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
Firstly, brief background. I have Win7 x64 Pro. The reason I wanted to resize my system reserved partition is this: http://www.pagestart.com/win7br0x8100003301.html The Backup & Restore stopped working because my system reserved partition became too full. (I don't know how or why.) The above link explains that the system reserve partition needs to be made larger.

Okay, so I resized it from 100MB --> 500MB. In the above tutorial it says, "After Partition Wizard has completed the changes, your computer will boot to Windows." ... Hahaha, no. No it won't. Instead, I get this error:

Things I have tried:

1. Tried using both Partition Wizard as well as GParted, booted from a CD. I used Hiren's Boot CD for both.

2. According to this how-to-geek article, this error is actually expected after resizing the system reserved partition. It says to use the automatic "Repair" option in the Win PE environment. I used my Win 7 Repair Disc to initiate the automatic "Startup Repair." I tried this at least 3 times, as people on forums suggested. Did not work.

3. I followed this procedure (can't believe I'm resorting to Tom's Hardware!), outlining command-line options to use in bootrec.exe.

I tried the proposed steps in order. First step:
Code:
bootrec.exe /FixMbr
This returned "operation completed successfully." Restarted, same boot error. Next step:
Code:
bootrec.exe /FixBoot
It returned "Element not found." See photo below:

forum image hosting

So, now what? I also tried fiddling around with some MBR-related utilities contained on Hiren's Boot CD, to no avail. Why is this not working, and how do I make it work? Why is bootrec.exe not even detecting my Win installation? I'm really stuck. :(

My drive is a Samsung 840 Evo, 250GB, if that's relevant. I'm beginning to think that the difference in drive architecture (SSD vs HDD) is somehow contributing to this problem...

Last edited:
Back