How to replace Laptop CPU?

I'm thinking about doing a cheap processor upgrade from a T1300 core solo to a T2350 or so Core Duo in my Toshiba Satellite.

Is it usually similar to the process with switching a desktop processor? Also, would I need to update anything in the bios, or is it plug and play like RAM?

First, check to see if the CPU you're upgrading to is compatible with your laptop.

Also, changing a CPU in a notebook requires a bit more work than a desktop since you'll probably have to remove the keyboard and/or the plastic casing (and of course the cooler). Every notebook is constructed differently with some being impossible to change the CPU while others are fairly simple and easy.

I'd check to see if their web site has any service manuals available.

Is it usually similar to the process with switching a desktop processor? Also, would I need to update anything in the bios, or is it plug and play like RAM?

Changing the CPU in a laptop is going to be A LOT more involved then in a desktop.

First of all laptops are usually quite difficult to take apart and reassemble. It CAN be done but it will involve considerably more time and effort just to get it apart. Also, unless you know for certain the motherboard is compatible with the CPU, it might not boot up at all once you get it back together!

Best of luck with the upgrade. :D

Back