How to remove viruses from users' private folders

I have a problem. My family is really dumb and lazy when it comes to virus and malware security. I have tried to make them understand what they are doing but it's not getting through. It's so bad that our internet service provider has cut off the internet atleast twice due to viruses and the like. I have a firewall and I have the virus scanner set to run on schedule.

Now to my question. I use AVG because it's free and seems to work well. The program is able to find all the viruses on the computer and the majority of them located in other users' private folders, for example, their Documents and Settings, Temporary Internet Files, etc. The program is not able to remove these viruses while I am running it from my username.

I have told my family they need to run the program once a week and showed them how to, but they are just plain lazy and never do it.

So, is there a way around this? Another program maybe, or a setting I can change? Can I do everything myself or from an administrator account, or am I stuck going into each of their usernames and cleaning it out one by one?

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried running the scan in safe mode? Also, you might want to look into the Trinity Rescue Kit and Barts PE. They are both live cd's that do a great job of scanning from outside of Windows.

I'd just boot to Safe Mode and run the scanner from each of their accounts.

I know this sounds harsh, but some people just won't learn. I've had family and friends that I've given up on, telling them if they won't listen to my advice, have someone else fix their PC. One trip to the overpriced Clueless Squad at Best Buy, and they'll be ready to learn.

Back