• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to remove the USB for media reader?

htwild1

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
86
I just obtained Dell 2405 monitor.

When I installed the drivers, I forgot that there were 4 USB ports behind the screen that can be connected. Now even that connection to an USB port behind the PC is disengaged, in Explorer it still show 4 local drives.

I have several external USB drives that I have been using, now all the USB ports have been pre-empted by the media card reader of the monitor.

Can somebody help me to restore these ports?

Thanks.
 
I read your problem and I'm trying to understand what's wrong here. I have a 2405 at home too. Could you explain it again?
 
Prior to getting Dell 2405, I have several (6) external USB drives (connected to USB port of the PC) that I turn on whenever I need to back up. My mouse is also USB.

When I installed the Dell monitor, somehow I also installed the USB card readers that are included. So 4 of these USB plus my HD/mouse it became 11 USB devices. The Gigabyte MB KNS8 Pro apparently recognizes only up to 8 (?) USB ports.

I just want to get rid of the card readers and get back to where it was before. In Explorer it lists local disk... for these card readers and prevent the external HDs from being recognized by XP.
 
I'd suggest looking in the task manager to see if you can find the driver for it. Did you actually install a driver from a CD, or did windows automatically recognize it.

According to the USB specification, there should not be a problem of recognizing up to 127 devices per USB channel. You board will have at least 4 USB host controllers -> 4 channels -> ~500 devices that "should" be able to work at the same time.
 
lol...500 theoretical devices hooked up at once...I'd LOVE to see that rats nest of cables :p
 
nst6563 said:
lol...500 theoretical devices hooked up at once...I'd LOVE to see that rats nest of cables :p

You are a very sick individual. (j/k) :p

Can you imagine the time involved in trying something like that?

 
htwild1 said:
Prior to getting Dell 2405, I have several (6) external USB drives (connected to USB port of the PC) that I turn on whenever I need to back up. My mouse is also USB.

When I installed the Dell monitor, somehow I also installed the USB card readers that are included. So 4 of these USB plus my HD/mouse it became 11 USB devices. The Gigabyte MB KNS8 Pro apparently recognizes only up to 8 (?) USB ports.

I just want to get rid of the card readers and get back to where it was before. In Explorer it lists local disk... for these card readers and prevent the external HDs from being recognized by XP.

OK I think I understand now. If you don't want the card readers (on the left side of the monitor) showing up in My Computer, simply unplug the USB cable that runs from the 2405 monitor to the PC. This is how I use it at home. To cut down the number of 'drives' I see in My Computer, I simply leave that USB cable unplugged until I need to read from my SD camera card, then I plug it in to the PC. The USB connection to the monitor only serves those ports, so you're not disabling any other features of the monitor.
 
You could also unassign drive letters from the usb devices on the monitor which might let your original devices show up. I suspect windows is getting confused about drive letter assignments and is assigning one of the media slots on the dell the same letter as one of your existing drives.

 
davidlem said:
The USB connection to the monitor only serves those ports, so you're not disabling any other features of the monitor.
Is the 2405 the one that rotates? I thought that the USB cable informed the OS to rotate the display on whichever one that was... So that'd be one small feature, but a feature no less.

 
Yeah it does have a rotate feature, at least phsyical. You could be right, I've never tried to rotate it.
 
Davidlem,

That's what I did, unhook the monitor USB cable from the PC until I need to read my memory stick, but somehow in explorer it keeps showing local disk x,y, z, etc.

And when I turn on my external HD which is always connected to the PC via USB, not all of them are recognized. One even showed up as raw in properties.

In My Computer under USB I have:
- Standard enhanced PCI to USB host controller
- Standard OpenHCD USB host controller
-Standard OpenHCD USB host controller
- USB 2.0 Root Hub
- USB Root Hub

It used to be 4 lines for the USB Root Hub.
- USB Root Hub
 
Back
Top