How to remove a virus from e:\system volume information ?

BobTheSlob

Limp Gawd
I have a virus, Krepper.C, which is located in E:\System Volume Information. AVG knows which file it is, but I or AVG can't do anything about it! When I scan that folder, AVG finds nothing despite the fact that it told me its there, and I can't open that folder to manually delete it myself.

The virus doesn't appear to do anything, but the AVG resident shield keeps popping up telling me it's there, and I don't want to turn off the resident shield.

Any advice? Thanks

Disable system restore, reboot in safe mode, scan, kill the bug.

This should be SOP when you find a virus, not all hide in system restore, but it's a good practice.

Don't be phased if you disable system restore, scan for viruses, and find none. Sometimes simply disabling system restore flushes it out. Anyone know if disabling system restore completely deletes the restore archives? I was under the impression it did, which technically means you can disable system restore and then enable it and it would be gone. Scan anyway of course.

I have read and found that it does get rid of the data when you disable system restore. *If* that's the only location of the file, disabling the system restore is all you need, I still recommend a scan, just to be sure. You are already infected, get a clean bill of health from your scanner before you go your merry way.

Back