how to remotely run apps via ssh

eon

2[H]4U
local is XP, remote is linux
currently when i run a program it seems to want to run, but the app never pops up
example:

***@*** $ emacs t.cc&
[1] 28997
~/***

First make sure you have X11_forwarding enabled in sshd_config, then make sure when using putty when connecting to your ssh server that in your connection setting you have checked off the X11_forwarding option. Finally you need either X11 libs for your client OS, either install the X11 lib files for OSX or install XMing in windows.

Make sure Xming is configured for your computer.

You have an x-server set up locally, don't you?
i only have cygwin installed with as many options as possible, not sure if that installed x-server
ill check out the links, thanks

ok apparently i already have x-server installed so now when i have that running i can open a document within the terminal buts its not very useful
it still wont let me open it in the background (open up the file in a separate application window)

Did you set your SSH client to enable X11 forwarding? Assuming you use PuttySSH (and you are, right?), in the configuration window, open up the Connection subtree, go to SSH subtree, go to X11, and click 'enable X11 forwarding.' X11 forwarding has to also be set on the SSH server side.

And you have an X Server, but that's on the server side right (the Linux machine)? You have to set up a local X client - I prefer Xming, it's what I use at work.

If you need a tutorial, a google search brought this up. It's for Solaris, Xming, Putty, but just replace Solaris with Linux and it works just as well.
http://solaris.reys.net/english/2006/04/x11_forwarding

i was using the ssh thats default with cygwin, i heard of putty but not exactly sure what it does
(in case you have realized by now, im basically a noob this kind of stuff)
ill check out that link later, thanks

1) does hte linux-machine have X-forwarding enabled in its sshd_config file
2) in windows use Xming to set up a nice icon to double-click. It is really easy to use

i was using the ssh thats default with cygwin, i heard of putty but not exactly sure what it does
(in case you have realized by now, im basically a noob this kind of stuff)
ill check out that link later, thanks

putty is a nice app with all the ssh (and telnet, or other term com) in a little GUI. It can do x-forwarding so you could configure a session and have it start xterm as well. BUT Xming makes life easier (it uses putty for the backend anyway)

so what is Xming supposed to do? create a full simulation of your remote desktop? because it doesnt seem to do anything when i launch it

i finally was able to open an app using the putty terminal with x11 forwarding but im confused... not sure if its xwindows or xming thats getting it to work
im going to figure out how to forward x11 in cygwin next

Xming is the X Windowing System client/server for Windows. If you have a session to a another machine with a running X Server, you can run software from the server that requires a window on the client machine. You need an X window system program running on both the client and server to get this to work.

eon, use the Xlaunch app and configure a connection
Go through all the options

1) Multi-window (best in my opinion) or full screen or...
2) Start no Client (only useful if you just want local Xsrv support) or Start a program (what you want)
3) (avail when chosing start a program). From here you can spec the prog (xterm so you can get a terminal that you can then start progs from), You want "run remote" and shoose Putty (via plink.exe). Set the machine name/IP and user (it will ask for passwd when you run)
4) Misc options (usually leave these alone)
5) and finally save to a *.xlaunch icon that you can double-click on

If you choose a screen setup other then "multiwin) you can then use XDMPC to find Linux machines that are configured for this. I do this if I want my work Fedora machine desktop on my desktop otherwise I usualy just use xterm and lauch the programs I want

Back