• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to reduce interference noise?

botw

Gawd
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
593
I get a high pitched squeeling/hissing noise in my front headphone jack which is conntected to a Xonar DG (replacing an x-fi gamer that was producing all kinds of problems). Speakers connected to the rear ports don't have the problem. I assume my internal connections are picking up EM interference of some sort. Anyone know of a fix for this - or do I have to live with annoying background squeal in my headphones?
 
try connecting the front panel connector from the sound card to a different front audio port on a different computer case
 
You can get EMI shielding plastics and construct a bit of a barricade. Easier way would be to route your cabling so it avoids as much as possible (pretty much anything in the case can cause EMI).

Are you using a mini to mini connector, or are you connecting to the front-panel pins on the sound card (honestly don't know if that card even has them).

The easiest solution would be to just get a male to female 1/8" extension cable ($5-15 depending where you go) and run you headphones from the back of your PC. Also it is possible that your internal cable is just either weak or worn and replacing it would do wonders.

I get the same crap on my work laptop (Dell E6410), a nice mechanical whine behind all my audio, you're spot on in that it's EMI
 
The internal HD Audio is plugged in to the pins on the card. I'd plug in to the rear but it's not easily accessible and I only use the phones when I am playing games.

I guess I'll see if there any EMI shielding/cable wraps that can improve it...
 
Back
Top