how to put on ATX 24pin metal connectors on a wire? [pic]

cheezies

[H]ard|Gawd
ele-132.jpg

How are these metal pins applied to a wire? Using a special tool? How should the wire be stripped before applying one of these?

cheezies said:
How are these metal pins applied to a wire? Using a special tool? How should the wire be stripped before applying one of these?
There are tools to do the job. The first set of tabs from the back is to hold the insulation. The second set of tabs holds the wire. I always crimp in that order. You can get the ratcheting kind of tool for $30, and it is well worth it, but the cheap crimpers from Radio shack can be made to work.

unterhausen said:
There are tools to do the job. The first set of tabs from the back is to hold the insulation. The second set of tabs holds the wire. I always crimp in that order. You can get the ratcheting kind of tool for $30, and it is well worth it, but the cheap crimpers from Radio shack can be made to work.

That's awesome, where can I find this "quality" tool you're speaking of? Online preferably or in Canada. :)

This should work. I don' t have one, never delt with this company, but they seem to be mentioned here a lot. And a tool like this is going to cost a lot more than $30 from most places.

unterhausen said:
This should work. I don' t have one, never delt with this company, but they seem to be mentioned here a lot. And a tool like this is going to cost a lot more than $30 from most places.

Nice, I've bought a few items from them before, they are great. I think I'll buy a few supplies from them.

Which 24pin removal tool would you suggest? I've seen CaseArts, AC Ryan and ConnectRight, but I'm not sure about their quality.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT use pliers. Pliers will do nothing but flatten out the connector. Use the tool shown above.

cheezies said:
Will this tool remove the pins on my 24 pin ATX connector? It's made for the 20 pin ATX connector ...
Yes the connectors are the same. It's a pain to get those pins out, even with the right tool.

If you are looking for a great crimping tool then you can get one here
I myself have one and it makes it SO easy to insall the molex pins.

DaRkF0g said:
If you are looking for a great crimping tool then you can get one here
I myself have one and it makes it SO easy to insall the molex pins.

I think I'll be ordering the crimper from FrozenCPU.com, since performance-pcs doesn't have 24pin ATX metal pins.

SarverSystems said:
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT use pliers. Pliers will do nothing but flatten out the connector. Use the tool shown above.

i've been using long nose pliers on these things... all you need to do is first bent half of the first set of tabs 90 degrees inwards... then insert the wires... and press from the middle of the tabs.. making something like manual crimps :D

Will This Crimper work from radioshack on the ATX and drive pins or both? As I bought one a while ago to wire my bg micro vfd to a serial port

Format _C: said:
Will This Crimper work from radioshack on the ATX and drive pins or both? As I bought one a while ago to wire my bg micro vfd to a serial port

It looks just like the others, have you tried using it with ATX20 pins?

Format _C: said:

Yes it will work. i have that very crimper and have used it on pins for a new vga plug on a monitor.

Back