how to properly use Windows Search (vista x64)?

jarthel

Limp Gawd
I have indexed all of my Drive D. I have selected several extensions that must be included in the index. One of these extensions is .wav.

When I search for "*.wav" in my D drive, nothing comes up. But when I disable the Window Search service and try again, it works.

Any ideas?

I suppose the problem lies in how I use it?

Thank you :)

Indexing probably hasn't finished. After you search for .wav (dont even need the quotes or *), check the box that says Include non-indexed locations.

I never had an issue with Windows Search in Vista but in Windows 7 it was acting flaky for a while. Searching through Windows Search UI (Win+F) would cause the indexer to stop. I could open the Indexing Options applet, open Windows Search and enter something and the indexer's text label would change from "Indexing complete" to "The indexer is turned off." Rebuilding the index solved my problem.

".wav" and "*.wav" will return two different set of results.
*.wav - Will return any file with the string "*.wav" in the name, contents, or metadata while being lax and allowing text to be appended to the left of .wav.
.wav - Similar to above but without the wildcard.
ext:wav - Will return only files that have the .wav extension.

Including the asterisk is causing nothing to show up... You can't use that. Just type in .wav The natural way to search for something. Nice that someone at MS finally realized that.

Including the asterisk is causing nothing to show up... You can't use that. Just type in .wav The natural way to search for something. Nice that someone at MS finally realized that.

for old folks like me who's done searches using the asterisks, it seems unconvetional :)

Back