• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to Properly Install Mesa Drivers

Simmonz

2[H]4U
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
2,504
I'm hearing good things about the Mesa drivers for AMD graphics cards and wanted to try them out but am un sure of just how to install them properly. I know where to download the latest version but my confusion is whether I should have the driver manager set to open source drivers or set to FGLRX and then how to install them. Once I have the driver manager set to the proper option do I just type the following:

" ./configure
make
sudo make install"

into Terminal ?

Any help is appreciated.
 
I'm hearing good things about the Mesa drivers for AMD graphics cards and wanted to try them out but am un sure of just how to install them properly. I know where to download the latest version but my confusion is whether I should have the driver manager set to open source drivers or set to FGLRX and then how to install them. Once I have the driver manager set to the proper option do I just type the following:

" ./configure
make
sudo make install"

into Terminal ?

Any help is appreciated.

If you're using Mint like it says in your signature then there should be able to just have the driver manager change it. From what I remember (been awhile since I ran Ubuntu based distros) though you should have an option for the open source driver or the proprietary driver. The open source driver should install everything you need. It should install the open source driver and all the mesa drivers. You would just have to check the versions to see if the included mesa drivers are the latest and greatest. I know all the mesa drivers on my Arch install go updates this morning. So I need to try upgrading to kernel 4.5 again...
 
If you're using Mint like it says in your signature then there should be able to just have the driver manager change it. From what I remember (been awhile since I ran Ubuntu based distros) though you should have an option for the open source driver or the proprietary driver. The open source driver should install everything you need. It should install the open source driver and all the mesa drivers. You would just have to check the versions to see if the included mesa drivers are the latest and greatest. I know all the mesa drivers on my Arch install go updates this morning. So I need to try upgrading to kernel 4.5 again...

I'll give it a try. I was under the impression that the Mesa drivers were somehow seperate or different than the open source drivers in the Mint driver manager.
 
I'll give it a try. I was under the impression that the Mesa drivers were somehow seperate or different than the open source drivers in the Mint driver manager.

I don't think they are but like I said I haven't used an Ubuntu distro in a while. If they aren't included I would assume you could simply apt-get the mesa drivers themselves.
 
I found out why I couldn't find any driver saying Mesa. I usually keep my update levels at a level 2 (safe). Mesa is at a level 4, rated unsafe. Basically more prone to stability issues so I was hiding them from myself.Not sure I want to do the update now. I'm not well versed in Linux yet to do serious troubleshooting but I do want better GPU performance.
 
I found out why I couldn't find any driver saying Mesa. I usually keep my update levels at a level 2 (safe). Mesa is at a level 4, rated unsafe. Basically more prone to stability issues so I was hiding them from myself.Not sure I want to do the update now. I'm not well versed in Linux yet to do serious troubleshooting but I do want better GPU performance.

Get an Nvidia card for better GPU performance.
 
mesa drivers are the default. They should be included with whatever distribution you're using. Ubuntu 16.04 just came out and is packaged with the most recent release.
 
Simple script to build MESA drivers from git. Adjust settings accordingly for your card and cpu.

  1. #! /bin/sh
  2. git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa ./mesa-git
  3. cd ./mesa-git
  4. ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --enable-osmesa --with-vulkan-drivers=intel --with-vulkan-drivers="intel" --with-dri-drivers="i915,i965" --enable-glx="dri" --enable-dri3 && sudo nice -n -19 make -j3
  5. sudo make install && cd ..
  6. rm -rf ./mesa-git

Can also be used a 32-bit chroot with the /home folder mounted into it with --libdir,--target,--build options set accordingly for i386. Then just copy the i386-linux-gnu folder to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
 
I'm personally not an AMD user myself so I find this quite interesting. Do you seriously need to build the mesa driver from scratch? You can't simply install using a package manager?
 
Back
Top