How to position gadgets in Vista sidebar?

piako

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a way to position gadgets in Vista on the sidebar? They seem to populate the top first and then work their way down. :confused:

Is there a way to position gadgets in Vista on the sidebar? They seem to populate the top first and then work their way down. :confused:

If this is not what your asking, I apologize in advance... But if all you want to do is change the order, just click on the one you want to move and drag it to the position you want...

If you want to move it somewhere other than the sidebar, right click on the gadget and select "detach from sidebar" and move it wherever you want it.

They do start on top, but as digital_exhaust said, you can just drag them into the order you want.

That's completely not what I'm asking. It seems that Vista AUTOMATICALLY snaps the gadgets to the top of the sidebar when attached to the sidebar.

Now detaching them also does not work because they auto-attach when they are close to the sidebar. Plus you cannot resize detached gadgets.

You see now?

When you rip them off the Sidebar they typically become their actual size or whatever the size the creator thought would be best for standalone operation off the Sidebar.

For the moment, Vista will automagically try to reorder them itself and force them to "slide" towards the top of the Sidebar, so unless you know otherwise, that's what you're stuck with.

I typically rip off all the gadgets to the Desktop first, then close the Sidebar itself (meaning the "bar" doesn't appear onscreen - the transparent part that fades in), then drag the now standalone gadgets to the side of the screen wherever I want.

That's the closest you're going to get.

Most people don't realize they can do that and leave the "invisible bar" part left onscreen - that part can be turned off and then you can put them wherever the hell you want on the Desktop, even the side in the order you want.

Hope this helps...

Here's pic examples...

On the Sidebar, automagic placement:

Off the Sidebar, with the Sidebar "ribbon" still active:

Off the Sidebar, with the Sidebar "ribbon" now closed/off, Sidebar still active, gadgets wherever I want on the Desktop but aligned along the right side just for this example:

That should make things a bit more clear, I hope...

Thx. I realized all those options before I made the original post. The problem is the gadgets need to be able to be resize b/c they are too big in some instances. It would be perfect if you could place them in the sidebar at any level of ordering (align to bottom you see).

Because I can't do this I just leave sidebar off. Invaluable imo.

Since a "gadget" is basically just a tiny HTML/XML "page" being displayed, it works following the basic principles sooo... if you were to take one apart you could then resize it to whatever you want with the images that make up the gadgets.

I found this tutorial that Microsoft distributed last year before Vista came out, the info is still very relevant to what you're trying to do. You might end up creating copies of the original gadgets then customizing them to your size requirements, which isn't tough to do at all:

http://microsoftgadgets.com/Build/SidebarTutorial.zip

Hope it helps...

Well, now that bbz_ghost has told you all about how the sidebar works and no one answered the original question... heres your answer :D

A spacer gadget. It allows you to add spaces between gadgets so they dont all populate at the top. I am rehosting it from a forum I downloaded it on:

http://www.cirial.com/GadgetSpacer.gadget

Sometimes simple questions only require simple answers if read correctly. :D

InvisiGadgets... great :p

:p but its definately a good idea for someone who wants say.. the calendar at the top, and a clock at the bottom, rather than closing the sidebar all together.

I give you props though bbz_ghost, you a very thorough in your help. Not many people like you still around this place :cool:

It's a curse, I assure you... :p

I just can't stand it when people come back at me and say "YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THAT!!!" so I'm thorough in the extremes on most any answers I tend to give.

zip
1234jy5.jpg

Back