How to permanently disable VPU recovery?

Vlad_13

[H]ard|Gawd
Any one know how to disbale VPU recovery? It's not in CCC like it was before. Maybe trough registry, or any 3rd party driver or something?

I'm trying to OC Mobile 4650 and as soon as i OC 50-60MHz it black screens like a VPU recovery.....

Thanks for explaining what failed and what did not.... Now i know....

Mobile rv730 down-clocked to 450MHz, its standard clocks are 600 and 750MHz so this chip can be OCed higher then 500MHz.

That would mean your overclock has failed. VPU recovery is a good thing. The alternative is a blue screen.
Ding! It's there for a reason.

Either get better cooling for the card (laptop dock or something) or don't overclock so high.

And when it's working on a laptop I call it a BS because i know that rv730 is CAPABLE higher clocks because chip was designed to work from 600-750MHz And the temps are in 60C... so if you telling me that the chip cant OC more than 450MHz that's a bunch of crap. Mobile GPU is downclocked to 450MHz. What is there so hard to understand... VPU recovery or what ever shit makes the black screen, is not letting me overclock... just google "VPU recovery instability"

If you can't contribute to this thread pls move on.
Thank you :)

VPU recovery or what ever shit makes the black screen, is not letting me overclock... just google "VPU recovery instability"

VPU recovery is exactly what it sounds like. It means the GPU crashed, and the system recovered. VPU recovery in and of itself isn't causing ANY problems with your OC. It doesn't do anything until something crashes. You can't turn it off anymore because it is built into Vista, it is no longer a driver feature. What you are doing is similar to blaming Prime95 for preventing you from overclocking your CPU.

As for what you are trying to do, I think you are simply mistaken. No OC is ever guaranteed. You got a bum chip, tough luck. That said, when did people start overclocking mobile chips? Seems like a bad idea...

And when it's working on a laptop I call it a BS because i know that rv730 is CAPABLE higher clocks because chip was designed to work from 600-750MHz And the temps are in 60C... so if you telling me that the chip cant OC more than 450MHz that's a bunch of crap. Mobile GPU is downclocked to 450MHz. What is there so hard to understand... VPU recovery or what ever shit makes the black screen, is not letting me overclock... just google "VPU recovery instability"

Chip may need more voltage to hit that range? This being mobile I am sure its running at a fairly low voltage.

What did it come as stock? 600? if it can't do that, and you have to under-clock in order to use it, I'd RMA.

If it came stock as 450 MHz from the manufacturer, maybe they got a price break on cost reduced GPU's that only run at lower speeds.

What did it come as stock? 600? if it can't do that, and you have to under-clock in order to use it, I'd RMA.

If it came stock as 450 MHz from the manufacturer, maybe they got a price break on cost reduced GPU's that only run at lower speeds.

Sounds like he is trying to overclock it.. nothing wrong with it.. just unhappy with the results... welcome to the [H]ard truth about overclocking... sometimes its pure luck!

I see wiki lists possible 600mhz for that chip. That is likely just a general guideline, and your manufacturer would have had a real good purposeful reason for lowering the stock speed.

1.) As aforementioned, lower cost from speed binning parts that didn't fully measure up.

2.) Adding a second reason I thought of. Some laptops are compact, thin and sleek. Some are big and bulky. The later would have more space for an elaborate cooling solution and could meet ATI's spec and maintain proper thermal parameters. In the case of the former, the manufacturer may have had to lower the clock frequency in order to stay within a safe operating thermal envelope.

Last edited:
Main reason for being under-clocked is the battery life... thats why all Mobile
4650 are @ 450MHz. Probably on low Voltage too.
It's not letting me overclock...
But who knows maybe it is a damn dod chip.
Or it might be a VAIO internal special purpose driver that is not letting me do shit with this GPU...

They did contribute and what they told you is correct. You just didn't like what you heard.

Back