How to overclock a mac...

net1

n00b
I am new to all this fiddling with comps and things and am interested in overclocking my iBook. It is really too slow. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

start here

for the imac continue to here

for ibook look inside Xlr8 for help, in fact look there for the imac too, but for an example of the ibook go here

and what specs? RAM makes a huge difference in these systems (I saw a new machine when I went from 128 to 640 in mine) and the OS you are running...if you are running OSX but are not up to 10.3 get it..there is about a 10% speed boost just by upgrading to that

*if you are running OSX but are not up to 10.3 get it..there is about a 10% speed boost just by upgrading to that*

I didn't believe that until I saw it... Giggle is right. There is a HUGE speed boost on older systems if you install 10.3.

Kudos to Apple for actually trying to IMPROVE older systems instead of forcing them into obsolescence (even though 10.3 got me to convince my compnay to upgrade me to a new notebook).

I got to see 10.3 (just before the release) running on an iMac 233 with 196 Meg RAM and it ran better than my B&W 400 running 10.2 with 196 Meg and you can crank a little more out of the system by turning off journeling too!

Yurning off journaling is a bad idea on a machine that actually used for something important. A strong filesystem is something you want!!. It wasn't just the old machine that saw a boost from 10.3 The dual 1.2 512MB Ram on my desk at work saw a major boost as well, and finally became stable with 10.3.

Back