• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to Open Seagate Pushbutton Backup??

acaurora

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 19, 2003
Messages
240
Does anyone know how to open one of these? I've looked all over the net and can't find any instructions. I got one for cheap and want to just use it as an internal drive... but again I dont want to destroy the enclosure. Anyone know how to dismantle one of htese so i can get to my drive?
 
I've take apart a few similar external enclosures on those type drives. Its most likely going to break the tabs they use to hold it together. Most of the time, those companies have a proprietary style enclosure where its not made to be taken apart. It doesn't have screws, it just has tabs that lock in place once its manufactured at the final stage. For the best results, I just get a big screw driver, and go around the whole thing prying it apart. Inspect it carefully and try prying with your hands first to see if you can find the spots you need to pry with the screwdriver.
 
If you're talking about the squarish looking Seagate external drives, I figured out how to open it up. Look at the back of the drive (where the cables connect). If you look carefully on the right side where the gray plastic side panel meets the center black plastic, you'll see three slots (one at top, middle, and bottom). Insert something long (at least 2") and thin (I used a medium/small scissors) into each slot and release the tabs one at a time. When the three tabs are released, slide the gray plastic side panel towards the rear of the drive to unlatch the front three tabs. With the gray panel out of the way, you can access the four small socket head screws that hold the other gray plastic side panel in place. Use a #2 hex (allen) wrench on these screws. The rest is straightforward.
 
Back
Top