How to OC my 970

david_

2[H]4U
Got this yesterday: https://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=55DC8107-685D-4235-AE73-2FA6CC4A72CC

Replaced my 770 Lightning, which I just used the factory OC b/c [H] review said you can't get much more out of it. But this 970 is @ 1165/1317 boost. Seems I could get much more. I downloaded afterburner.. I'll use Heaven to stress.

Is it worth touching voltages or just bump up boost clock until heat/artifacts are too much?

Leave the voltage at stock then overclock the core as high as it can go before artifacting/lesser performance. Then drop the core to stock and overclock the memory. Do the same until you find when it begins to become unstable. Then put the core and memory at the highest stable frequencies and test if that is stable. If it isn't, drop the memory frequency a bit and retest. Then I would start messing with the voltage.

Drag the power limit slider to the far right. Then I would say start off at +150 core and keep testing from there. If it's unstable, drop it by 10. If it's stable bump it by 10. You can try larger numbers too, but keep it consistent to reduce the amount of times you have to test your card. As you get closer to your max stable you'll need to tighten up the numbers. I like keep mine at multiples of 5 so I don't go below +/- 5 adjustments near the end of my testing.

Memory is a bit easier. Quick and dirty, just add the +500 mem. That's usually more than enough boost for the memory, but if you want to keep pushing, then apply the same formula as above.

As for stress testing, you should use more than one (preferably 3 or 4). I usually use Fire Strike (Regular, Extreme, Ultra), FFXIV Heavensward benchmark, and Unigine Heaven. Furmark is also a good stress test, but it might push your card too hard.

Well, +135 clock, and +475 memory. Temps never about 75.. fan speed around 33% (auto profile). ASIC 76%. Happy.

Back