How to migrate WinXP to another drive/partition?

hardc0re

Gawd
Hey Folks,

I've run out of disk space on my windows XP boot partition and need to move it to another drive/partition.

What is the best way to do this?

I have included a snapshot of how my drive config looks like.
30lglet.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/30lglet.jpg

Acronis True Image has a drive-to-drive copy feature, but you should be able to get that same functionality from the software that came with the hard drive. Figure out who made it (Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, etc), and then go to that manufacturer's website and grab their drive software. It'll have many functions and options, one of them being that drive-to-drive cloning/setup feature.

They create that software because many people do exactly what you're doing: they have an older hard drive that's "full" and they want to move to a bigger or newer one so the software makes it relatively easy to do a drive-to-drive copy that way. When it's done, remove or disable the original source drive, and replace it with the newer target destination drive where you copied that content to, and it should boot right up as if nothing was changed. Then do whatever you had planned with the original when everything is up and running as you'd hoped.

Good luck...

+1 for Acronis, used it recently to migrate my Vista 64 off my ssd to normal hd make way for windows 7 64

well what I did instead is use Partition Magic to move extra space from other partitions to C:, i now have 3 gigs extra :-D

Back