How to make the 360 quiet?

phatfong

Weaksauce
I have a big ass air cleaner in my room on its medium setting (loud), a water-cooled PC with like 4 fans on it (a little quiet), some miscellaneous other stuff running (white noise) and a TV on and my 360 can be heard above everything.

Aside from water-cooling what are some good ways I can make my 360 quiet without reducing the effectiveness of it's cooling fans (I would like to increase its effectiveness actually). I have no probs voiding the warranty or chopping it up. Please let me know if you have done anything or have seen some good stuff cuz something has got to be done about the high pitch noise.

It sounds like you have something defective with your 360. Mine is pretty quiet and I can only hear the fans when I'm pretty close to them. Also, it's definitely not high pitched.

On a similar subject, my brother recently picked up a 360 and the DVD drive sounds REALLY loud when it's reading data. Is that common? It's kinda put me off getting a 360 until I can be sure about which model of dvd drive is in it.

I don't think it is the fans as much as the DVD drive on the 360 that makes the noise. That DVD drive is ridiculously loud.

Is this the norm? Mines is TERRIBLY loud, I can't play it at night when others are sleeping, i cant hear the TV on low volume, heh. If i can return it, i shall.

Mine is loud especially when playing a dvd...i sit a pretty good distance from the 360 and i can still hear it...but it doesnt bother me since i have volume on really high...but it sucks at night bc all i hear are the fans.

are they issuing replacements for these jet engines? (Im from UK)

I'm still waiting until they get such issues worked out or I will buy a modded 360. I had one and it ran quiet except on startup or when reading off the DVD but otherwise it was just a tad noisier than a PC.

I just got mine shipped from circuit city, and noticed it was quite loud. My brother has one, and it doesn't seem to be nearly this loud. I also got an E 68 error on boot once, which means a hard drive error, so that could be what's making so much noise. I'll probably give MS a call in a day or so and see if I can get it replaced.

Psychotext said:
JBark, when you open the tray, can you have a look to see which one of the drives in the link above it matches (they have different trays). Would be interested to see if you have the "noisy" drive.

Edit - Bigger images here : http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Comparison.htm

Sure can, though I haven't even put a game in the drive yet, so it shouldn't be the DVD drive making the noise. Just been messing with the Media Center extender stuff.

Actually, I just realized I haven't even opened the tray yet. I need to get my priorities straight. :)

Hmm I just opened my tray to reveal I have a samsung drive...Yes the console is a little noisy, but it just gives you a good excuse to turn up your system!!!!

I have the Samsung DVD drive and it is still noisy when it is spinning at full speed during game play. Watching DVD movies it is not all that loud though as it is not running at full speed when watching movies or playing a music cdrom. DVD drives on computers are noisy too when they spin at full speed. Thing is the DVD drive in the 360 is only a 12X drive so it shouldn't be as noisy as it is. No modding is going to fix a noisy DVD drive.

The question is, is it HOLY SHIT noisy? I've played a few 360s and my brother's one is the only one I've seen that sounded that horrific. I'm not joking when I say that everyone in the room turned to look at it (there were about 6 people talking) when it spun up.

I once had a self modded case with 4 deltas in it... it wasn't quite as bad as that, but it was close.

My 360 has the louder Hitachi drive and it's not really that loud. It's also not high pitched or annoying when the DVD spins up. If I have my computer on I can barely hear the 360 over the fans.

The DVD drive makes most of the noise, but it's by far not excessive. Seriously, you have consider that these DVD drives are spinning at a really good rate of speed. It's still not louder than my Mad Dog DVD drive that I have in my PC, which is probably one of the loudest things i've ever heard.

After taking a closer look the noise is the fans not the drive. So I am going to crack it open and see what can be done.

Noise is not loud like a malfunctioning fan but has a high pitch wirrrrrrrr noise that differentiates itself from the rest of the noise in the room. My ears lock on to it and that is what I hear. Turning up the volume of course makes the noise not a problem but who always has the volume up high all the time. I certainly would not watch DVDs on it because of all the quiet scenes.

My 360 makes a loud whirrrr when I first turn it on but it settles down after about a minute or so.

If Mad Dog is rated so high then why is the drive so noisy? That's not what I call high quality.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/164
According to their website; Mad Dog Multimedia is a technology company that designs, manufactures and markets multimedia and peripheral products under a mantra of what they call "uncompromising excellence". Mad Dog exists to satisfy the consumer by creating cutting-edge products that set the bar for quality and value and provide uncomparable service and support for these products.

I don't think most people will get it until they have heard one of the loud 360s (they aren't all loud). This isn't something you just dismiss as a bit of DVD drive noise... It sounds like it's working up to critical mass and it's going to take half your house with it. :D

The DVD drives in my computers are recording studio quiet in comparison.

To answer the OP, get out a baseball bat and hit it until it stops breathing!

Sorry, couldn't resist, it was the first thing that came to mind when I read your thread title.

Carry on.

The sad part is that it's still noisy even with the fans dropped to 7v. Ah well, it's comparable to my PS2 when I'm doing anything besides playing a full game (watching a DVD, playing XBLA games, playing original Xbox games)

Well, I returned a crashing/freezing 360 for another. This one doesn't crash, but the drive is still quite noisy. My solution was to stick it behind glass doors and open up the rear of the entertainment center for airflow. You can still hear it if you're close, but it doesn't bug me at all on the couch.

Back