• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to make PC dynamically switch playback devices?

aguy

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
75
This has been bothering me for a while and I can't seem to find any information on it (and yes, I have googled, but end up with people trying to get their HDMI audio working or things along those lines). I'm looking for a way to have my laptop switch which playback device it is using based on what's plugged in. Like how it switches from speakers to headphones once the headphones are in.

I want it to use the HDMI audio if that's plugged in, or the S/PDIF if that's in, or bluetooth headphones if they're connected instead of the speakers; preferably with a hierarchy (e.g. S/PDIF takes precedence over HDMI).

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Laptop is P-6831FX, Windows 7 Pro, IDT/SigmaTel drivers (not sure what the sound card actually is)
 
Last edited:
What OS? Windows 7 seems (I haven't really tested) to output audio to the most recently connected device. Though like previous versions, it's still not very flexible.
 
Windows 7 seems (I haven't really tested) to output audio to the most recently connected device. Though like previous versions, it's still not very flexible.

Doesn't seem that way for me. When I plug in a new device, I have to manually switch it in "manage audio devices".
 
Might only be if you plug in a new 'audio device' rather than just plug something into your existing one.
 
Might only be if you plug in a new 'audio device' rather than just plug something into your existing one.

Thats what I mean. I plug in a wolfson dac with pcm2707 receiver and I have to manually switch the device. Same thing when I plugged in a pcm2702 dac.

On the other hand, my onboard soundcard automatically switches between peripherals. My wolfson dac automatically switches between different inputs (usb & s/pdif optical/coax inputs).
 
Oh right, sorry I forgot the obvious, it is Windows 7 (Pro, fwiw). The laptop itself is a Gateway P-6831FX, the drivers are IDT/SigmaTel. It stays on the speakers until I manually change it with everything except wired headphones/line out.
 
Back
Top