how to make my xp computer faster

sandman92

Limp Gawd
how can i make my computer faster i don't use it as much its more of a media pc
but i want to make it faster
it has gotten a bit sluggish is their a way to clean it up and make it faster

What are the specs?

If you have a gig of ram or less I'd say add more ram. It it's an older HDD, consider a modern HDD. Most importantly, make sure it's free of any soft of malware.

Uninstall anything you don't use anymore. Run disk cleanup, then defrag it. That will help move the files hopefully closer to the outside of the disk (back towards beginning of volume), where disk speed is usually better.

i got it back in 05 it has 512 mb of ram its a gateway i don't remember the other specs of it

i got it back in 05 it has 512 mb of ram its a gateway i don't remember the other specs of it
If you play games on it, you will notice a nice increase to load times by going to 1GB of ram. If you don't, then 512 is fine.

nope i dont play games on it i just use it for music

If you have the technical know-how, backup all your important files (music, documents, pictures, etc.) to a cd or something and reformat. That's always the best way. If not, any of the suggestions already listed will work fine.

Did you upgrade to SP3? It my test beds at work, it slowed down the boot time on older machines.

A fresh install of Windows always seems to do the trick for me. If it still runs slow after that, try upgrading to a faster hard drive.

What every one else said. A fresh install of Xp with sp3 slipstreamed in on a newer, faster hard drive with a bump to 1Gb of ram or more will do wonders for that pc. Even if all it is used for is web surfing, email, word processing, and the occasional casual or flash game.

Then your choice will be to:
1. Do the virus/malware scans to get rid of anything bad
2. Uninstall any programs you don't need
3. Run disk cleanup
4. Run Defragmenter

There are also some small tips n tricks if you google "speed up windows" but most aren't really worth it for the hassle.

That's it. Won't go any faster without using money to ether get a XP cd for a reformat, or new and improved parts for an upgrade.

i dont have a xp install cd and i dont have the money to buy one right now
I don't know how anyone owns or operates a computer anymore without the reinstall media. I'd try to get my hands on one, even if you had to pay a few bucks to Gateway for it. Adding another 512 MB of memory, would be a huge upgrade, but does cost some money, albeit not much. Without spending any money, the idea of removing what's not needed, running a few clean up scans with CCleaner, and the defragging it is about the best you can do.

Back