How to make my torrents download faster?

Ryder

Limp Gawd
What do I need to do to make my torrent downloads go faster using BitTornado? Which ports do I need to open? Thanks.

Where does it say this? Because when i read the readme before it said i just needed to open like port 10000 thru 60000

It told me as many ports that are open = better

Last I recall BitTorando was the single port version of Shadow's cliebnt, so it ONLY needs port 6881 open.

But the way it works with the origional client, is that it will start at port 6881 and each new torrent will use the next available port.

Most clients only use a single port nowadays anyway

In the prefs it says port range and the default is set to 10000-60000....

You will also want to limit your upload speed. If you have dsl or cable, I'd suggest going for 2/3rds your advertised speed, so with a 256kbit upload, set it to 20KB/sec (256kbit = 32 kbyte) Setting it higher than that can cause your download to be limited.

right now its not even working and in prefs i have set the ports to 6881 to 6999

I used to get very crappy download speed when using BitTornado, even Azureus crapped my speeds, installed ABC and everything worked great again :D

oldmx

Many ISP's are capping 6881-6889 so I'd go with something outside of range. I use a 10 number range from 49500 and above.

u must be behind a router. u gotta change settings in ur bT and in your router prefs.

If it isnt even working, then bets are that your provider is blocking it(especially at colleges)

You will need to change the ports used to something else

Does the orginal Bittorrent software (from BitTorrent.com) all you to have a range of ports open? Or will I need to download BitTornado to be able to open ports and use it on campus?

If it isnt even working, then bets are that your provider is blocking it(especially at colleges) You will need to change the ports used to something else

What is the suggested campus open range?

bitcomet for firewalled connections. Bittornado for properly setup connection with properly configure firewalls.

Cowcaster88 said:
Does the orginal Bittorrent software (from BitTorrent.com) all you to have a range of ports open? Or will I need to download BitTornado to be able to open ports and use it on campus?

What is the suggested campus open range?

The origional client does not allow you to define your own ports, and you do not open a port throught he client. Opening ports is done with your router or firewall.(which if your campus has a firewall on the entire system you cannot open the ports)

As for which ports you can use, it's entirely up to what is open at the campus. So ask a super geek on campus on that one.

For newer updates of tornado you need to open the ports it shows, the numbers are changable. Also, limiting your upload to 10 kbps is no problem. I still get >130 download speeds.

DermicSavage said:
The origional client does not allow you to define your own ports, and you do not open a port throught he client. Opening ports is done with your router or firewall.(which if your campus has a firewall on the entire system you cannot open the ports)

As for which ports you can use, it's entirely up to what is open at the campus. So ask a super geek on campus on that one.

But if I just have a wide enough range of ports won't I be safe?

Cowcaster88 said:
But if I just have a wide enough range of ports won't I be safe?
The concern is not about being safe, it is about it actually working.

I dont know if it will try another port if it runs into a blocked one.

Back