How to make an invisible folder in Panther visible?

wileycat

2[H]4U
so I copied my songs over from my iPod to a mac at work but iTunes can't see the folder because it's still invisible (I used cocktail so that I could see them, but I guess iTunes can't) so I need to make the folder visible. How do I do that? Can I do that?

If you know how to use the Terminal: At the root level of the filesystem there is a file named ".hidden" which maintains a list of files that should be hidden from the Finder. Try "cat /.hidden" to view the contents. I'm not sure if this alone is what makes "usr" and "bin" and other such directories hidden or if there's also a file flag for invisibility (see "man chflags" -- there's an "opaque" flag) because I've never attempted to modify these things (I just use "Go >Go To Folder" in the menubar).

There's a couple of problems:

A file can be invisible because it's listed in .hidden OR because its attribute (/Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo -a filename) is V.

Some of the files are both, so you'd need to use /Developer/Tools/SetFile to change them to v AND remove them from /.hidden.

so, is this a double or a triple post? sorry all, the wireless router burped in the middle of posting.

VersionTracker
MacUpdate

there has to be something there, i have heard of an app called "make visible" but i can't seem to find it.

also, what i partly said in the other post there was that you can use ipodrip, podworks or podutil to get songs off an ipod and not have to work out the invisible/visible dance. if not that, the songs are visible in the f** folders, so you can drag and drop them out and into another folder, put them in itunes and then let itunes sort them out...

what i did on my ipod was to make an alias to all 50 of the F** folders and then move the aliases to another folder called "music" at the root of the iPod's drive. this way i can get to the music anytime, whether the invisible is made visible or not.

good luck.

Back