How to make a Scalper pay

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
If you buy a RTX 3080 from a known Scalper on eBay you have 30 days to return it no questions asked. Now I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I am right. I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and have had people "borrow" my items for 30 days just to return it and say it doesn't work. I wonder if anyone thought of "borrowing" I mean buying one from a Scalper and returning the favor.

Not if it says no returns, you only have the option to return it if its defective or significantly different than described in the listing normally.
If the scalper can prove it does work upon return not sure what the recourse would be at that point unless they listed a restocking fee or something.

Brick the BIOS and send it back, put 12v through a line that it shouldn’t gone through.

Or, if you have old 60’s carpet... Pull out the GPU, perform the electric slide once or twice and give it a few love shocks. Send it back when it stops working or intermittent unsolvable issues appear.

Not if it says no returns, you only have the option to return it if its defective or significantly different than described in the listing normally.
If the scalper can prove it does work upon return not sure what the recourse would be at that point unless they listed a restocking fee or something.

eBay "No returns" means virtually nothing, and is in fact, not valid in the EU where a buyer can return for any reason within 30 days. In my experience, the buyer only needs to make up the slightest of imperfections or hard-to-prove defects and eBay will side with him. "The card had a scratch, the box was damaged, it runs hotter than normal..."

If you buy a RTX 3080 from a known Scalper on eBay you have 30 days to return it no questions asked. Now I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I am right. I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and have had people "borrow" my items for 30 days just to return it and say it doesn't work. I wonder if anyone thought of "borrowing" I mean buying one from a Scalper and returning the favor.

As much as I hate scalpers, what you suggest is also a very low life move.

Intermittent freezes or stutters (actually true given driver issues rt now) try fighting or disproving that. Seller would have to accept the return, pay for return shipping and no it does not matter if you can prove the item works fine upon return, you have the item back and cannot charge the customer for it. That is fleabay 'seller protection' for you, that's why I seldom use it and will decline folks with less than 100% feedback or with a very low feedback count, not fool proof but better than nothing. In this case, these sneaky boys (pun intended) have it coming and then some...

eBay "No returns" means virtually nothing, and is in fact, not valid in the EU where a buyer can return for any reason within 30 days. In my experience, the buyer only needs to make up the slightest of imperfections or hard-to-prove defects and eBay will side with him. "The card had a scratch, the box was damaged, it runs hotter than normal..."
In the US too. I sold a fully working TV mainboard. It was tested and I had proof that it was working. (TV had a cracked screen) Listing was no return accepted.

Guy gets it, installs it waits 60 days contacts ebay saying it doesn't work, sent ebay proof images with date stamps showing it worked and the item itself and I was still forced to do a refund.

Someone at eBay ended up telling me to sell as "For parts or Not working" to prevent this from happening. Yes, you heard that correctly. To prevent fraud on me (with no buyer protection) to sell as "For parts or Not working".

Last edited:
I thought a better idea was the run the bots ourselves, and then sell to members on the forum at MSRP.

However, I'm not sure of the legalities of botting, might be more trouble than it's worth.

The idiots that buy the scalper listings are more to blame frankly. If no one bit, then the scalping would disappear; But folks are soo damn impatient; They buy a LUXURY item at ridiculous marked up prices instead of just waiting it out until stock is plentiful. It's not food people. JUST WAIT.

The idiots that buy the scalper listings are more to blame frankly. If no one bit, then the scalping would disappear; But folks are soo damn impatient; They buy a LUXURY item at ridiculous marked up prices instead of just waiting it out until stock is plentiful. It's not food people. JUST WAIT.

You should visit the r/nvidia discord, those guys are literally losing their mind over not getting a card.

Let the idiots buy from the scalpers, if they wait it will be harder for me to get one once they start restocking

The best way to make a scalper pay is simply to not buy from them. Guys, it’s a video card. Be an adult, wait a few weeks, and buy it through normal channels. Let the scalper idiots bury themselves in a pile of video cards that no one will buy.

Well, there are people that are *actually* making the scalpers pay (by submitting fake super high bids).

But most of the sales were in the $2k-$3k range, which I believe is real.

Suppose I get my hands on perfectly functional 3080 FE brand new unopened. Would it be considered scalping if I were to sell this on Ebay with the price starting at MSRP? To me, scalping is me starting the bidding at 2-3x MSRP. Starting it at 1x means that if only a few people bite, no one is really getting screwed per se.

Of course, its not like this stupid video card is insulin. If I sell a single card at $2000, well, that person really wanted it. All the more power to me i guess.

I'm not giving those assholes a single sent over MSRP. I'm not interested in any schemes to make them suffer either. Not buying their cards for inflated prices is enough for me. I'll buy a 3090 or 3080 20GB at a later date for MSRP or less. I'm all for buying early, but I'm not going to unnecessarily line someone else's pockets to do it.

Back