How to make a complete backup of a fresh XP Install

usernameo1

n00b
OK so I'm having issues that are making me consider a reformat and fresh install. I've had to do this various times in the past and I'd like to make the process simplier if possible. I want to format, install XP, install chipsets, install mobo software, install XP SP1 (not going to SP2 yet), and then make a complete backup of that install so I can just grab it at a later date if I want to start from scratch without having to do the actual installs over again.

I know you can do this with Norton Ghost, but I don't have a copy. I've never really been able to get a detailed answer on what System Restore actually does nor the Backup system tool. I just want a clean "image" stored somewhere so I can revert back to a complete, vanilla XP install at any point.

Is Ghost/SystemWorks my only option?

thx

System Restore restores Windows to a previous state. Say, for example, you have your system up and running. You then install something and your system gets borked because of something that happened with the software install. You go to System Restore and then roll back the computer to a point before you install the software and hopefully, the problem is gone (and the software isn't installed anymore).

Backup tool I'm less sure about, since I haven't used it at all.

I'd say if you want a good utility, use the newest version of Ghost. I have a copy of Acronis True Image 6, it's not bad, I imaged my windows xp install with it.

There are also free drive imaging software out there, I think.

Back