How to MAKE a bandwidth throttle/cap

Qveon

2[H]4U
I am sharing my internet connection and i am sick of others using all my bandwidth all the time. cause when they use their stupid file sharing programs, it slows my connection down.

So i am using win2k server to split the internet up and i am wondering how i can make it so i can put a cap on how fast they can upload. my computer is behind the win2k one so i don't want my bandwidth controlled. Just the other person's.

How do i do this?

Actually NetLimiter is a per machine program that would limit bandwidth per application, so it will not work here. Do you not have a router comming off your broadband connection, or is the Windows 2000 box acting as the sole router? If you are going through the Win2K box like everyone else then there is no easy way to limit the bandwidth to everyone else. Now if you can get a cheap wired router and attach your computer and the Win2K box to it, now you can use net limiter to limit the bandwidth of the sharing program. I do this with my Windows 2000 Server at the lab. WinProxy only gets 512Kbps, which is shared to 15 computers. Mostly just kids playing online games and such. I am connected directly to the router and get the full bandwidth of the cable connection.

2k server should have QoS on it? might be able to do something with that, otherwise, you could get a linux or *bsd distro and make it a transparent firewall that does QoS and bandwidth limiting (or just get http://clarkconnect.org and replace the 2k server all together)

Back