How to log ISP connection drops.

kuyaglen

[H]F Junkie
So I'm on ATT Uverse and their service in my case is not the best. I'm currently experiencing frequent drops for the past two and a half hours and its not the first time something like this has happened.

So I'm looking for a program that I can set a constant ping that also shows a time stamp, so that I can see how long my net connection dies and how intermittent it gets. I've seen a program like this used by a high school student to detail the intermittent service he was receiving with Comcast (it made the local news in Sacramento CA some years ago).

-Thank you

{edit}

Just as I clicked the submit button the "connection" light on my Uverse 2Wire Cablemodem goes from Green to Red. How ironic.

{edit #2} oh man, two for two

Maybe you can use the program i made sometime, and posted about here http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033719654&postcount=6
NetworkTester.jpg

It constantly pings the 4 hosts (if ticked in 5sec intervals) and writes a comma delimited file to the c drive with the timestamp and status (2=not checked, 1=up , 0 down).

The reason for 4 hosts, is because then i can check all the necessary steps........localhost/router/cable modem/internet., but you can disable any by simply unticking the boxes at the side.

Its free, but requires .net installed....wrote it for troubleshooting friends and family.

You may also be able to query your cablemodem for connection related information using SNMP. If that's exposed, then you could setup something like Cacti and plot all sorts of fun information about your modem & usage.

Toytown's tool looks perfect.

I was going to suggest just looping a batch file to ping then print the date and repeat, outputting to a text file.

Yep, that's why I suggested a looping batch file that printed the date ;)

That tool might be easiest though.

What I usually do is run a continuous ping, output to a text file. I then dump it into Excel and get my % of "Request timed out" and tell the ISP "I have 10% downtime".

hows the picture quality on your TV's? do they get a strong signal and do you have any services like ondemand, do they work well?

Back