How to limit Internet Connection Sharing?

MaXimus

[H]ard|Gawd
I am sharing my internet connection with another computer on the network.... how do I limit the connection>? I want to share only a certain download/upload quota so that he wont hog my connection with peer to peer programs!

Thanks

Are you using a router to share that connection?? Or ICS in windows?

l337zax said:
Are you using a router to share that connection?? Or ICS in windows?
ICS through windows.

I am the one who has the modem, the hub :)

Are you sharing dialup or broadband??

More than likely you'll need to pick up a software package to manage your bandwidth throttling. There might be a feature to do such a thing in Windows, but I do not know of one nor where to find if it does have that feature.

its in my signature bro.....

I am sharing a 1 MB cable modem conn3ct!0N

My bad... didn't read your sig.

Something better than buying software to share that connection is purchase a broadband router. You can get them pretty cheap, and a lot of times like with my Linksys WRT54G wireless router, there are QOS features where you can limit certain applications, ports, computers... etc. as far as bandwidth throttling and other quality of service options go. Would be easier than QOS, and more expandable. Plus your machine doesn't need to be turned on for the Internet to work on the other PCs.

I can't find any software that would limit the bandwith shared! help pleaase!

MaXimus666 said:
I can't find any software that would limit the bandwith shared! help pleaase!

Are you willing to pay for the software, if yes, what would be the price range.

There's a nice little program called NetLimiter (http://www.netlimiter.com/) for windows that can limit bandwidth by application. I'm not sure if it can do ICS limiting too, but it'd be worth checking into. There's a free trial.

On another note, I've got a WRT54G flashed with sveasoft firmware that I've been thinking about selling -- it's great, I just dont need it anymore. PM me if you're interested, I might not check this thread again.

Back