How to keep your pinned programs on one side?

mobusta1

2[H]4U
One of thing about windows 7 that really bothers me is if I open pinned programs (for example IE) then rest of my pinned programs move to the right of the open pinned program. Is there anyway I can lock my pinned programs to the left side?

Maybe a screenshot, b/c I don't understand. My pinned programs stay exactly where they are pinned.

Maybe a screenshot, b/c I don't understand. My pinned programs stay exactly where they are pinned.

8zfjpj.png

I know I can drag em to the other side but I want the location to be there permanent. Because whenever I open a new window it'll move.

So theres no other way I can do it unless I do it has "always combine"? I dont like doing the always combine way because it's an extra step to get to a window...

The point of Always Grouping is that your Pinned Programs are always in the exact same space whether they're running or not. Give it a shot; it's actually a lot more intuitive. And I can usually find the window I'm looking for a lot quicker when looking at the preview thumbnail than when just trying to read the text.

Right now I'm pretty confused, what do you want the taskbar to do, exactly? Do you want three groups on the taskbar? Pinned, pinned+running, and other running? If so, you might as well enable quick launch. Obviously, that will lead to duplicate icons and you won't be able to use the Win+# shortcuts unless your program is already running but your quick launch icons won't move.

The pinning behavior your noticing is because applications are pinned in order where (in your taskbar) Word is always after IE and WMP after that. Status (active, inactive ) isn't a variable. If status was to be taken into consideration it could cause all sorts of confusion. Say I had my taskbar set up as:

IE > Word > WMP > > Notepad > Calc > Powershell > Powershell ISE.

I open IE, WMP Calc and Powershell ISE and then suddenly my taskbar looks nothing like it would if nothing is running!

Word > Notepad > Powershell > IE > WMP > Calc > Powershell ISE.

In short: what I think you want is quick launch, combining may be another alternative but you seem averse to it.

If you like keyboard shortcuts, you can use the "Windows key"+<#> to access the pinned program. They are number 1 through 9 from left to right. From your screenshot, "Win+1" would open IE, "Win+2" would open Word, and "Win+3" would open Media Player.

So theres no other way I can do it unless I do it has "always combine"? I dont like doing the always combine way because it's an extra step to get to a window...

Just middle click the button for another window. No extra steps - it is still one click.

even if he middle click the MS Word icon will stay after the IE windows.
mobusta1, I understand what you mean, I&#8217;m having the same trouble with it, "always combine" will solve it, I don&#8217;t have a problem with &#8220;always combine&#8221; and sometimes I switch it on, but I guess old habits die hard so usually I find myself switching to the &#8220;never combine&#8221; option and I keep the explorer pinned to the right so no other pinned applications can come between explorer windows, and I pin to the left of it applications that doesn&#8217;t open multiple windows (winamp, gomplayer, dictionary application etc) and avoid pinning things like MS Word because I find myself unconsciously dragging any awkward looking icons like the one in your screenshot to the right

Back