How to keep multiple HTPC upto date?

Bigzaj

Weaksauce
I currently only have one HTPC but I want to get to a point where I have three, my biggest issue is how to keep all three of them current. I want to be able to push out updates to media browser and video drivers (assuming I use the same video card in all three). Is there anyway to do this without having to login to each computer and update software manually?

I thought about cloning hard drives but I'd be worried because I doubt they will all have exactly the same mobo+cpu combination. Any ideas or thoughts? To me this is the one weakness of HTPC's is the need to manually update them individually. Thanks.

In most cases the need to update video drivers is pretty small (i.e. the bug fixes don't apply to you), so I doubt you'd see a huge time savings in developing some way to update all the drivers automatically. Cloning hard drives wouldn't work unless you had identical hardware and software setups (i.e. you'd be cloning content). You could just use remote desktop or something like that to remote into each computer and update them all from one machine

Why do you need 3 individual HTPCs? Perhaps a setup where you're using an extender or sharing a tuner over the network would work better.

3 because they are for Media Room, Living Room and Master Bedroom and HTPC because I use full blu-ray rips and plan on getting CETON cards for each.

3 because they are for Media Room, Living Room and Master Bedroom and HTPC because I use full blu-ray rips and plan on getting CETON cards for each.

Umm, why get a tuner card for each?

Also, have you thought about running a domain? You can push updates and whatnot through WSUS.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to to push manufacturer drive updates through WSUS. I would just pick a day and just manually install everything.

Hell, you might want to avoid updating drivers unless you're having performance issues.

Tuner card for each because you cant (not yet anyway) share tuners with other PC's only extenders (I am trying to replace DVRs). WSUS only pushes microsoft updates.

wait for the new HDHomeRun. Its a networked cablecard setup with 3 tuners and is supposedly going to be out for the holiday's. Might as well wait for it since getting 3 ceton tuners will cost you $1200 bucks and take forever.

or use a central WHS with DVBlink

I dont update anything on my HTPCs until i have time to update a test rig and make sure it doesnt jack something up.

the best way to screw your WAF it to install unnecessary updates.

recipe for failure is to run windows updates, GPU driver updates and firmware updates on your tv tuner the night before your wifes shows are on...

my HTPC for my living room/theater doesnt get updated until my gaming PC and 2nd HTPC get updated and everything is working well for at least 2-3 weeks.

S3 Sleep gets jacked by many updates and i have had BSODs from driver updates in the past.

set them up and let them run, i turn windows updates off and install Windows Security Essential and that is the only thing i update... and it does it on its own.

BIOS updates are in the same category.

If it isnt broke dont fix it..... is a great to live by for HTPCs

Back