how to insttall vista onto sata hd and not pata hd

compwarez

Gawd
i have DS3 rev1.3 and e4300
one sata hd on sata port 1
one pata hd on ide slave port
one ide dvd-r drive on ide master port.

how do i install vista onto sata hd and not pata hd? what can i do on bios to make it work?

thank you

Boot from the CD, it should give you the option to install windows to your sata drive. You shouldn't even need drivers.

Or, you could just unplug your IDE drive then Vista has no where else to go but the Sata drive........once installed, just plug your IDE drive back in for windows to see it...:D

i have try different way like change the jumper on to the dvd drive, unplug the ide drive and install sata drive and vista will not load the installation.

I just installed Vista on a SATA drive using the DS3 board, and I had no issues...but I don't have any PATA hard drives. Just two DVD drives on the PATA port. I didn't have to load special drivers or anything like that. The install was actually faster than a XP install and was painless as far as OS installs go. I wish that I could help you, but I simply had no problems on my Rev 1.0 board.

i have try different way like change the jumper on to the dvd drive, unplug the ide drive and install sata drive and vista will not load the installation.

ok I think the problem is this.....when you have multiple drives, motherboards/BIOS like to boot in this order, IDE0 master, IDE0 slave, IDE1 master, IDE1 slave, Sata1, Sata 2, etc etc etc..... after you install vista on the sata, and plug the pata in your board might try to boot off the IDE drive which has nothing on the MBR..... you may have to go into your bios and change the hard drive boot order or the booting hard drive. Operating systems take this behavior into account ......

also you should be able to install on the sata drive with the sata and pata drive installed, but vista might say that the pata drive is the c drive .....

ok I think the problem is this.....when you have multiple drives, motherboards/BIOS like to boot in this order, IDE0 master, IDE0 slave, IDE1 master, IDE1 slave, Sata1, Sata 2, etc etc etc..... after you install vista on the sata, and plug the pata in your board might try to boot off the IDE drive which has nothing on the MBR..... you may have to go into your bios and change the hard drive boot order or the booting hard drive. Operating systems take this behavior into account ......

also you should be able to install on the sata drive with the sata and pata drive installed, but vista might say that the pata drive is the c drive .....

Makes sense, so unplug all your drives then boot up and let it error out finding no drives....OR...go into the bios and disable the auto setting to detect your drives and save.

Shut down reset bios to auto for the drives and make sure you install your SATA drive onto IDE-0, boot up and try the install.

Don't use the Gigabyte controller on your board. Stick to the Intel ones, and you won't have a problem. In fact, for XP and Vista, it's easier to install to an SATA drive than it is to an IDE drive.

If I remember right, it's the yellow ports you want. Avoid the purple ones at all cost.

Back