How to "instant message" between networked PC's?

Dark Prodigy

Jawbreaker
Title says it all. Just wondering what is the best way (if its possible) to message another PC in your network. Like if I'm upstairs and wife is downstairs and we're both on the PC's, could I be able to message her from where I am and communicate.

Thanks.

You have all sorts of lan messaging products out but in all reailty I would just use any one of the bigger chat systems. Ie msn, aim, icq, yahoo messenger(ok I wouldn't use that), etc. Just creat a screen name/account for each of you.

What OS are you using?

If you're using 2000/XP there is the built in messager service and the 'net send' command, however the service remains disabled for a reason.

There is another old built-in chat program for windows (winchat.exe) that can be used with any version of windows older than Vista (the latter unfortunately does not contain the program).

That's all I can think of now but I hope my suggestions work out for you.

I understand and have thought about that solution. However, I would like to have software that you don't have to "log in to". Just something simple to message one another that loads up on startup and type to whatever PC on the network that you want.

All PC's running Windows XP MCE.

I understand and have thought about that solution. However, I would like to have software that you don't have to "log in to". Just something simple to message one another that loads up on startup and type to whatever PC on the network that you want.

All PC's running Windows XP MCE.

Have them all with saved passwords and autologin at startup.

Anyway just try some of the various lan messengers.

Back